Building a Modular Synthesiser Part 1: Introduction and Planning

Dave Ives
I currently look after production at AB Open. I have a background in the arts, environmental conservation and IT support. In my spare time I do a bit of DJing and I like making things.

Comments

November 27, 2019 18:53

Nice to see the VC3 in good nick, even though it is a museum.

Tim Orr

November 26, 2019 08:56

nice idea, I would like to realize this interesting project.

November 26, 2019 08:56

nice idea, I would like to realize this interesting project. Franco

November 26, 2019 08:56

Interessante seguo!!

November 26, 2019 08:56

I can remember the Moog synths being popular with the pro bands of the 70's, then along came the EDP Wasp, which cost far less and many more bands could afford to buy a synth.

November 26, 2019 16:21

@LateDev I had one that I found in a music shop in Liverpool in the 1980s labeled "Dead Wasp - £15". I couldn't resist a bargain and when I got it home it worked just fine. I have no idea what happened to it!

November 26, 2019 08:57

Looking forward to some recommendations for economical modules. This stuff can be addictive!

November 26, 2019 16:20

@gazak It certainly is addictive but I'm definitely on a strict budget so hopefully you will see some useful recommendations

November 26, 2019 08:57

Hi Dave, nice idea. As from my youth days I know that its a lot of work to build
a synthy. So the question is creating it from scratch using diskrete parts or
using ready designed emulating boards....
I guess its a question of time and money you'll like to spend.
Anyhow I also will keep my eyes on your project :)

November 26, 2019 16:20

@KrengelRFDesign I'm certainly going to start with ready designed boards - my electronics designing skills are sadly lacking, but I do have a few ideas for simple projects to build from scratch.

November 26, 2019 08:57

You will have a lot of fun and a lot of 'shall I, shan't I,' because these modules become very addictive. I reached a stage where I had to bite my fingers to stop me ordering the next one to build. I've been at it for about 6 years now and the bank balance is just about in the black. I built my own cases, you will need more than 1, and I even have a 19" floor to ceiling rack in my workshop. The rewards are enormous and the best part is the sound. Good luck with the project. I shall be following. this pic is of my case I have in the house, much to the wifes annoyance.

November 26, 2019 16:20

@anthonywilliam That looks amazing! I know what you mean about it being addictive - I am hoping to keep costs down by building my own modules but my letter to Santa is dominated by synth related stuff!

November 21, 2019 09:58

I'll keep my eye on this project!