Building a Lyra-8 Synthesiser Part 1: Sourcing Components and Starting Assembly

Dave Ives

Downloads

I currently look after production at AB Open. I have a background in the arts, environmental conservation and IT support. In my spare time I do a bit of DJing and I like making things.

Comments

May 2, 2021 07:08

Hello! Can you please elaborate on how you feel the tone generators resemble electric organs? I am an electronics admirer with no skill whatsoever and am an electric organ enthusiast. I’m also saving money for a Lyra-8. So this article has been on my mind for the last six months. And I’ve finally been emboldened enough to ask for you to clarify the organ connection. Thank you!

December 29, 2020 13:38

Just admiring your solder joints. Is that really your work? If so, very impressive. Did you use external flux or rosin core solder or both? Any other secrets you can share would be appreciated

January 4, 2021 11:37

@jweaver thank you! I used rosin core solder on this. No secrets - just lots of practice!

May 28, 2020 21:38

"mf" or even worse "MF" or "mfd" or "MFD" are typical historical markings on capacitors made in the USA - I didn't know that Russia or the Soviet Union used the same violation of standard prefixes and units...

June 2, 2020 08:51

@uwezi I am glad it's not just me that sees it as a "violation" :) - very confusing when you are not particularly experienced in these things.

June 3, 2020 09:31

@Dave Ives I wouldn't continue the usage today, in schematics or on PCBs or components themselves. But I can understand reasons the prior usage existed. The SI standardization was established in 1960. And μ is the only non-latin symbol used for prefixing units. As such, when people went to typewriters or computer terminals (in the days before code pages and later Unicode), they faced a conundrum. Most prefix symbols are the first letter of the full prefix: n for nano, p for pico, a for atto. And micro begins with m. But milli- also begins with m. But when it comes to capacitors, even just looking at aluminum electrolytics, the most common type for larger capacitances, the values below 1 millifarad are used in quantities a hundred or more times greater than values 1 millifarad or above. So m got used for the case it was most useful for. After all, a millifarad or greater capacitor was physically big enough that there was plenty of room to add three zeros and express it as microfarads.

May 28, 2020 09:11

I like what you have don, its greart.
But I have sent you guys e-mails to help me get your product for drawing schematics, I have the designSpark Mechcanical
and I would like to draw schematics for the circuits I have mad.

May 28, 2020 21:38

@156_frank not sure who you would have emailed, but all the DesignSpark software can be found here, https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/our-software

bdh

May 28, 2020 09:11

Is the schematic available? Looks like a fun project. Thanks!

June 2, 2020 08:50

@bdh Hi - as it is a commercial product they do not share the schematic - and you have to go on a waiting list to get hold of the PCBs!