Building a Lyra-8 Synthesiser Part 1: Sourcing Components and Starting Assembly

Dave Ives

Downloads

I currently look after production at AB Open. I have a background in the arts, environmental conservation and IT support. In my spare time I do a bit of DJing and I like making things.

Comments

May 28, 2020 21:38

"mf" or even worse "MF" or "mfd" or "MFD" are typical historical markings on capacitors made in the USA - I didn't know that Russia or the Soviet Union used the same violation of standard prefixes and units...

June 2, 2020 08:51

@uwezi I am glad it's not just me that sees it as a "violation" :) - very confusing when you are not particularly experienced in these things.

June 3, 2020 09:31

@Dave Ives I wouldn't continue the usage today, in schematics or on PCBs or components themselves. But I can understand reasons the prior usage existed. The SI standardization was established in 1960. And μ is the only non-latin symbol used for prefixing units. As such, when people went to typewriters or computer terminals (in the days before code pages and later Unicode), they faced a conundrum. Most prefix symbols are the first letter of the full prefix: n for nano, p for pico, a for atto. And micro begins with m. But milli- also begins with m. But when it comes to capacitors, even just looking at aluminum electrolytics, the most common type for larger capacitances, the values below 1 millifarad are used in quantities a hundred or more times greater than values 1 millifarad or above. So m got used for the case it was most useful for. After all, a millifarad or greater capacitor was physically big enough that there was plenty of room to add three zeros and express it as microfarads.

May 28, 2020 09:11

I like what you have don, its greart.
But I have sent you guys e-mails to help me get your product for drawing schematics, I have the designSpark Mechcanical
and I would like to draw schematics for the circuits I have mad.

May 28, 2020 21:38

@156_frank not sure who you would have emailed, but all the DesignSpark software can be found here, https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/our-software

bdh

May 28, 2020 09:11

Is the schematic available? Looks like a fun project. Thanks!

June 2, 2020 08:50

@bdh Hi - as it is a commercial product they do not share the schematic - and you have to go on a waiting list to get hold of the PCBs!