Building a Pi Powered Wireless Label Printer

Andrew Back
Open source (hardware and software!) advocate, Treasurer and Director of the Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation, organiser of Wuthering Bytes technology festival and founder of the Open Source Hardware User Group.

Comments

April 23, 2020 12:39

Servus,

one Question. Is it possible to switch off the engery saving of the Printer using the mudule?
If not is it possible to switch of it by Cups in parallel.
Thanks for answers!

BJ

March 20, 2020 15:04

Thank you very much! Nice Tutorial. It inspired me to get a label printer n the first place.
As of now (and in Austria) the QL-800 is more readily available so i went with that one and the tutorial didn't work out of the box.
Here's my two cen'ts on what to do to get it to work with the QL-800: Hope anyone saves a few minutes.
* If /dev/usb/lp0 doesn't show the "Edit Line" Light is probably green on your printer :) (turn it off and use dmesg to find the printer)
* Make sure to get the latest brother_ql:
sudo pip3 install --upgrade https://github.com/pklaus/brother_ql/archive/master.zip
* don't use the deprecated call brother_ql_print
* use brother_ql OPTIONS COMMAND ARGS instead (RTFM is well worth the time)
* a tape that can print red needs the option --red
* My Pi 4b needs all the commands (backend, model, printer) and only woks with backend linux_kernel command) OS Version: 4.19.97-v7l+ #1294 SMP Thu Jan 30 13:21:14 GMT 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux
* with the label ARG use only the width of the tape you have installed, the cut will be done at the correct height anyway (in my case) (e.g.: "--label 62"
Cheers!

June 3, 2019 06:26

Hi everybody, thank you for the tuto. It works realy well with my QL700 on usb, the webserver respond very well. I need to customize the UI (1_adding more buttons and 2_adding a png file for every print). I only need this UI with multiple buttons to label plants I sell on my ecommerce. Anyone could post here some code/explanation to add new buttons who cause the command print with a png and the name of plant varieties.Thanks a lot!

June 3, 2019 07:03

• Moderated

Hi everybody, thank you for the tutorial. It works really well with my QL700 on USB, the web server responds very well. I need to customize the UI (1_adding more buttons and 2_adding a png file for every print). I only need this UI with multiple buttons to label plants I sell on my e-commerce. Anyone could post here some code/explanation to add new buttons who cause the command print with a png and the name of plant varieties. Thanks!

April 30, 2019 14:47

I can't seem to connect to the QL700. I have it up and running in CUPS service and can print via Windows machines on the network.

But no matter what I change in the config file, I get the following status for the printer:
- undefined -

September 24, 2018 08:30

@Andrew Back nice tutorial but I get the "Need to resize the image..." warning every time I use the brother_ql_create command and after sending that .bin file to the printer, the red led on the printer starts blinking. Any idea? Can you please upload the test image you used?
Thanks!

May 29, 2018 07:12

Any chance to provide similar system for Dymo labelwriter 450?

May 30, 2018 13:07

@tomaszm700 , a quick search with Google turned up some pretty good documentation on the Dymo LabelWriter 450. It is controlled over the USB by a very simple data stream of successive lines of bitmapped graphics. Since it sounds (according to the article we are all commenting on) like the brother_ql Python library is writing the labels in raster graphic mode, you could probably modify the library fairly easily to for the label size difference and the output the graphics in the Dymo's raster format instead of the Brother's raster format. Here is a link to a page with the tech manual for the Dymo: http://www.dymo.com/en-US/labelwriter-450-series-technical-reference-manual-labelwriter-technical-reference-guide-product# They also have an SDK available (at least here in the US): http://www.dymo.com/en-US/online-support/online-support-sdk Brother also has technical resources available for the range of other labelers Brother makes. I just picked up a Brother PT-D600 over the weekend. It is limited to a maximum label material width of 24mm (in the short dimension), which isn't big enough for shipping labels. But most of the labels it uses are created by thermal transfer of the "ink" from a donor ribbon inside the cartridge, then laminated. That offers better long-term stability and resistance to environmental conditions than thermal-sensitive paper labels. Brother offers a nice range of specialty label materials, including some durable enough to meet standards for equipment rating labels, labels for cables, and even some heat-shrink material. The availability of documentation from both manufacturers is refreshing. Both realize that there are many commercial and industrial applications for label printers, and that making it easier for developers to talk to their printers makes more sales likely.

May 23, 2018 11:55

Does it allow you to save the labels? I hate the stock Brother software, and would love to find a better replacement.

May 24, 2018 07:42

@max998 , there are multiple pieces of software mentioned in the article. The web service label designer (brother_ql_web, mentioned last in the article) doesn't appear (after a quick glance through the source code) to have a mechanism for saving and reloading label designs for later re-use. On the other hand, that software is issued under a GPL license, so you are free to modify it to add such a command. The other pieces of software involved are command line utilities, brother_ql_create and brother_ql_print. They work with files, rather than a user interface. brother_ql_create takes a .png (image) file (which you can generate with whatever tools you wish) and converts it to a file of printer-language commands to generate the corresponding image on a label. You can save this file for later re-use. brother_ql_print takes the file of printer-language commands and outputs them to the port you specify. You could definitely use these as building blocks for making your own label library utility.

May 30, 2018 12:52

@BradLevy @max998 Indeed, you could easily create an alternative web interface that allows you to select one of a number of pre-generated labels to print. Or perhaps extend the current web UI to allow saving/restoring.

May 21, 2018 15:10

Good idea , the printer is too big , maybe this one will do the job https://www.adafruit.com/product/597

May 22, 2018 07:54

@stozek700 , the printers adafruit carries are useful if all you need is printout. Adafruit was unsure what thickness it could handle, which is critical for self-adhesive labels. If you need smaller labels (as to opposed to a physically smaller printer), Brother does offer a range of label sizes and also non-adhesive paper for the QL-700 printer and its siblings. Brother also makes label printers that can be controlled by your computer that make more durable laminated labels more appropriate for some needs, like labeling cables, or instrument tags. The labels for that series are available in a number of ink/background color combinations.

May 11, 2018 07:37

I've been considering getting one of these printers or one of its sibling models to meet several labeling needs. The QL-800 (and its wireless-enabled counterpart, the QL-810W) can actual print red and black on the same label. I'll have to look in to the software you mention for using it with the Raspberry Pi!