Basics of ATtiny85Follow article
Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing great. In today's tutorial, I am going to give you a detailed overview of one of the world's smallest microcontrollers. It's an ATtiny85 microcontroller, which is an AVR Microcontroller, manufactured by Microchip. So, let's have a look at ATtiny85 Pinout and basic details:
Basics of ATtiny85
- ATtiny is an 8 pin AVR Microcontroller, designed and manufactured by Microchip.
- Its design is based on RISC architecture.
- It is popular because of its small size and flexibility.
- Although it has only 8 pins it can perform almost every functionality a simple microcontroller can do. So, let's have a look at its pinout and you will get a better idea of its functionality:
As I said earlier, ATtiny85 Microcontroller has only 8 pins but each pin is assigned with multiple functions and it depends on the requirements of your project. So, let's have a look at these Pins one by one.
- Pin # 1: It's an analogue pin ADC0 and is used for analogue sensors.
- Pin # 2: It's also an analogue pin ADC3 and it's also used for crystal oscillator XTAL1.
- Pin # 3: It's also an analogue pin ADC2 and it's also used for crystal oscillator XTAL2.
- Pin # 4: It should be connected to GND.
- Pin # 5: It can be used as MOSI for SPI Communication and SDA for I2C Communication.
- Pin # 6: It can be used as MISO for SPI Communication.
- Pin # 7: It can be used as SCK for SPI Communication and SCL for I2C Communication.
- Pin # 8: It's a Vcc Pin so you need to apply 5V here.
ATtiny85 Memory Allocations
ATtiny85 has 3 built-in memories associated with it, which are as follows:
- It has a flash memory of 2096 bytes.
- EEPROM memory of ATtiny85 is 512 bytes.
- It has 32 general purpose registers as well.
Only EEPROM memory is non-volatile memory, while other memories are volatile memories.
It is used in those projects where small-sized embedded chips are required. Mostly in handheld devices where just one or two sensors data is required.
I hope you have enjoyed today's tutorial. If you have any questions regarding this microcontroller then ask in the comments and I will help you out. Thanks for reading. Take care !!! :)