Basics of ATtiny85
Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing great. In today's tutorial, I am going to give you a detailed overview of one of the world's smallest microcontrollers. It's ATtiny85 microcontroller, which is an AVR Microcontroller, manufactured by Microchip. So, let's have a look at ATtiny85 Pinout and basic details:
Basics of ATtiny85
- ATtiny is an 8 pin AVR Microcontroller, designed and manufactured by Microchip.
- Its design is based on RISC architecture.
- It is popular because of its small size and flexibility.
- Although it has only 8 pins it can perform almost every functionality a simple microcontroller can do. So, let's have a look at its pinout and you will get the better idea of its functionality:
As I said earlier, ATtiny85 Microcontroller has only 8 pins but each pin is assigned with multiple functions and it depends on the requirements of your project. So, let's have a look at these Pins one by one.
- Pin # 1: It's an analogue pin ADC0 and is used for analogue sensors.
- Pin # 2: It's also an analogue pin ADC3 and it's also used for crystal oscillator XTAL1.
- Pin # 3: It's also an analogue pin ADC2 and it's also used for crystal oscillator XTAL2.
- Pin # 4: It should be connected to GND.
- Pin # 5: It can be used as MOSI for SPI Communication and SDA for I2C Communication.
- Pin # 6: It can be used as MISO for SPI Communication.
- Pin # 7: It can be used as SCK for SPI Communication and SCL for I2C Communication.
- Pin # 8: It's a Vcc Pin so you need to apply 5V here.
ATtiny85 Memory Allocations
ATtiny85 has 3 built-in memories associated with it, which are as follows:
- It has a flash memory of 512 bytes.
- EEPROM memory of ATtiny85 is 512 bytes.
- It has 32 General purpose registers as well.
Only EEPROM memory is non-volatile memory, while other memories are volatile memories.
It is used in those projects where small sized embedded chips are required. Mostly in hand held devices where just one or two sensors data is required.
I hope you have enjoyed today's tutorial. If you have any questions regarding this microcontroller then ask in comments and I will help you out. Thanks for reading. Take care !!! :)
CommentsAdd a comment
correct Memory Alloc. section, please.
ATtiny85 has 8kB Flash memory (non-volatile) where compiled code is stored, 512B EEPROM (non-volatile) free for user data and 512B SRAM (volatile) free for user data.
SRAM is cleared after power shutdown.