June 23, 2017 07:51
Solving the biggest problems faced by Electrical Designers #2
Suffering the consequences of human error – as the saying goes, we are only human. In a hectic working environment, distractions and oversights can lead to mistakes and omissions in our designs.
Any electrical design needs to be complete and accurate if the project is to be successful. Wire and device numbering must be logical and sequential, with no duplicates or gaps in the sequence. Bills of Materials need to be complete, and the system configuration must be safe and functionally accurate.
- How can you be sure when you have completed a project that there are no errors in it?
- When that phone rang as you were numbering the wires did you lose track of the sequence and create a duplicate?
- When you updated that project with those minor changes did you remember to renumber the parts and wires?
- Have you selected the right type of parts for the job in hand, e.g. did it really need a Normally Open contact or should it have been a Normally Closed version?
- Are you sure your Bill of Materials includes everything you have included in the design?
- What about voltage drops? Are they within safe tolerances?
- Even if you double check the design can you be sure that everything is correct?
- If there are no errors, will you have peace of mind when you pass the job on to be built?
The consequences of this type of human error are varied but are always negative:
- Incorrect wire and device numbering will cause confusion during the build and will bring about delays and unnecessary disruption
- An incomplete Bill of Materials will obviously mean that the job cannot be completed and again will incur delays and disruption
- Specifying the wrong type of part will mean the system doesn’t work
- Excessive voltage drops can lead to overheating and may cause the system to burst into flames
On top of the delays, stress and chaos that these issues can cause, they will also create a terrible impression with the client, making it unlikely they will choose to use your services again.
If your current design process leaves you open to this type of human error, do yourself, your installation team, and your customers a favour and switch to DesignSpark Electrical. This free yet powerful electrical CAD software from RS Components and Allied Electronics will, at a stroke, eliminate the range of problems described above.
- Wire and device numbering is done automatically and will conform to the relevant standard
- After amending a design the numbering can be updated in seconds
- Bills of Materials are generated by the software reflecting exactly the parts you have included in your project, allowing you to order with confidence knowing you will have all the parts needed for the build
- The software even includes a configuration checker, double checking your design to make sure the parts you have chosen are the right type and voltage drops are within acceptable limits
Countless years taking things to bits to see how they tick...