POWER SUPPLY MEASUREMENT TIPS-10 STAGES OF POWER SUPPLY DESIGNFollow article
Power supplies are the workhorses behind all eletronics and electrical equipment. They come in numerous varieties to fit the gamut of systems they power. The race towards smaller, greener and cheaper power supply designs is more intense than ever. Higher efficiencies, higher power densities, time to market, standard requirements and cost reduction are impacting designs and designers alike.
Designing a power supply is a complex process with numerous steps. With this guide, we will follow a simple work flow and provide testing tips at each of 10 design stages. Hopefully you will find a few that will make your testing more effective and your life a little easier.
- Component selection and characterization;
- Low-voltage DC circuit power-on;
- High-voltage AC circuit power-on;
- Digital and analog control circuit debug;
- Power stage switching characteristics;
- Switching and conduction loss testing;
- Specification check;
- Power line compliance testing;
- EMI troubleshooting and pre-compliance;
- Design validation.