Nocturnal Wildlife Watching with Pi NoIR

Andrew Back
Open source (hardware and software!) advocate, Treasurer and Director of the Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation, organiser of Wuthering Bytes technology festival and founder of the Open Source Hardware User Group.

Comments

August 17, 2020 07:06

Newbie here. (sorry). I have no soldering but could i use pre-crimped wires instead? also: power supplied via a constant current LED driver
(706-3238)

How is this attached to the raspberry pi?

thanks

October 25, 2017 09:48

Hi,. Not sure if you have altered some of your blog articles, but the link (Time-lapse Photography with the Raspberry Pi Camera) redirects you to the https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/raspberry-pi page!

October 25, 2017 09:50

Hi @Georgielaa I've just been through these links to ensure that they are correct. Many thanks, DS

November 10, 2013 20:21

I've seen the pink images with an old, IR modified, Pi camera. The luminance histogram for consecutive images appears identical so I set the camera to grayscale only.

Interestingly, although the red frames are a surprise, the pink hue is what i would expect from the sensor.
My IR GoPro images have a lovely mauve lustre to them; http://bufobufomagic.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... toads.html

November 7, 2013 22:32

Great project, something I am trying to do myself at the moment and currently investigating battery power options.
Just wondering how many hours of life did you get out of the battery pack you used when the camera was running? (and I presume the IR light module)?
Thanks

October 15, 2013 12:18

@doriena The prototype I received was just the camera module and I swapped this with the one attached to the PCB of a standard camera. So as I said, yes, it has the red LED and I wondered if this caused the flashes. There is no infrared mode AFAIK, unless the camera applications have or are going to be updated that is.

October 15, 2013 12:01

Does the Noir have a red dot LED (Cam active) like the normal piCam?
Maybe this is what causes the red Images. The cam then sometimes changes from IR to normal mode and captures the Reflection of the red Light in the piece of plastic used to protect the Lense.

October 15, 2013 09:43

Attack of the Giant Killer Slugs! love it :0)