Involved in HMI? EVE has the solutions for you…Follow article
Did you know that RS Components has a new range of graphics display modules that are perfect for HMI development called the VM816C Embedded Video Engine Credit Card Board? Created by Bridgetek, the VM816C EVE boards have been specifically designed to give the engineer involved in HMI interfacing all the advantages they are going to need and at minimal cost. Capable, and with packed with valuable video and audio features these modules are powered by Bridgetek’s BT816 advanced Embedded Video Engine chip, or EVE for short.
All About EVE
The BT816 is an Embedded Video Engine Chip that has been designed to simplify the system architecture that is needed for advanced Human Machine Interfaces (HMIs). This technology gives HMI engineers the opportunity to rapidly create the perfect design solution effectively and with minimal costs.
Some of the BT816 EVE specs:
- High-resolution graphics video playback
- Functionality includes graphic, audio and touch control interfacing
- Playback of motion-JPEG encoded AVI videos
- Supports Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression (ASTC) to save memory
- Supports up to 2GB of external QSPI NOR flash
- Can track up to 255 touch tags
- RGB parallel video output
- Built-in sound synthesizer
You can find the full EVE BT815/6 spec sheet at the bottom of this introductory article.
Now, let’s get to those Bridgetek VM816C Embedded Video Engine Credit Card Boards.
There are two variations available from RS:
- 3V SPI/QSPI version that behaves like an SPI slave and requires an SPI master for micro-controller system integration and interfacing
- USB 2.0 slave variant, which is controlled via a USB host
Both of the versions mentioned above are available with or without a dedicated, preassembled 5 inch 800x480 TFT/LCD display that features a resistive touch panel. Of course, if you prefer, other variations of LCD can be used as long as they meet the technical requirements and fit the respective FPC/FFC 40 LCD Connector.
SPI Variant with Display - Bridgetek VM816C50A-D
USB Variant with Display - Bridgetek VM816CU50A-D
SPI Variant without Display - Bridgetek VM816C50A-N
USB Variant without Display - Bridgetek VM816CU50A-N
VM816C EVE Credit Card Board Features:
- 16MB IC Flash Memory
- Supports single or quad SPI (VM816C50A versions)
- Power amp with 3 stage audio filter
- supports mono audio output
- Supports USB high-speed connection to USB host (VM816CU50A versions)
- Powered by Micro USB B, SPI host connector or 2.1mm DC power jack (version dependent)
- 3V Regulator - Takes 5V input and outputs 3.3V
- WVGA (800x480) TFT LCD touchscreen panel & versions only
- LCD backlight driver. The driver has overvoltage protection (OVP) of 35V and maximum drive current 100mA.
- Audio connector for external speakers
- VM816C dimensions 85.6 x 54.1mm and is 1.6mm thick
You can find the full VM816C EVE Board’s spec sheet at the bottom of this article.