Raspbian Jessie Lite on a New Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3

Redstone
Mark completed his Electronic Engineering degree in 1991 and worked in real-time digital signal processing applications engineering for a number of years, before moving into technical marketing.

Comments

February 24, 2020 09:06

Hi,
I am confused about one point. I appreciate if you can clarify for me.
The memory on the CM is 4GB
The img size of Debian OS is around 15 GB
How is it possible to install the OS on a CM ?

February 24, 2020 14:18

@aalptekin Hi there! Thanks for your question.I’m sorry this did not come across clearly, but we are not trying to load Debian onto the CM3. We are creating a virtual machine, on our PC, that is running Debian. From there we are using this VM to load Raspian-Lite (the command line only version of the OS) onto the CM3. This was meant to show new users the similarity between the two OS’s – as Raspian is ultimately derived from Debian. I hope this helps.

April 3, 2019 12:37

• Moderated

Because the official process for flashing the Compute Module with a Raspbian image is so inelegant & ugly, I found much quicker & easier way which should also work with a VM is USB pass-through is enabled and it can see the USB connections: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/96032/how-do-i-flash-install-raspbian-on-raspberry-pi-compute-module-3-3

April 8, 2019 07:44

@LinuxEngineer That is indeed an ingenious method – one where you think “that is so obvious (now), why didn’t I think of it?” Thanks for sharing this.

January 19, 2017 13:41

Hi David. I agree that the filesystem copy can be quite an unnerving few minutes. Glad to hear you are up and running!

January 19, 2017 13:41

Very clear instructions. The wait for the filesystem copy requires a lot of faith, no feedback at all on progress but all up and running.

David

January 19, 2017 13:45

Hi David. Thanks for the feedback. To answer your question: yes, you could just as easily use these instructions with Mint - or any other Debian-derived distro - that you are running natively on your PC. Just skip the VM installation section.

I like to use virtual machines as it is easy to experiment with different distros (I also have a Mint VM, which I like a lot) and to save a snapshot image of the VM installation how I like it and return to that after I have been experimenting.

January 19, 2017 13:42

Great article on a great product. Question, alternative to the virtual Debian Linux installation, could you not just use your own standard Linux Mint installation running on your PC already in at multi boot configuration?
Best regards, David Christiansen, Denmark