Building a Raspberry Pi Powered LoRaWAN Gateway

Andrew Back
Open source (hardware and software!) advocate, Treasurer and Director of the Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation, organiser of Wuthering Bytes technology festival and founder of the Open Source Hardware User Group.

Comments

July 30, 2020 09:08

Great project!

December 4, 2018 08:50

Thank you very much!

I had to to the following actions in addition (or did I miss something?)
- add user to group gpio in order to be able to toggle reset pin:
sudo usermod -a -G gpio ttn
- change number of reset gpio to 17:
sudo nano /opt/ttn-gateway/bin/start.sh
(line 4: change value to 17)

March 5, 2018 15:02

Hi, nice development here, thanks for sharing, I have a question . or couple, actually.
Did you test distance from your gateway? Hight of antenna? and any stressing test regarding connections? any data on this subject, please. And finally stability? how would you rate it? is it stable, was up , running for some time? Thanks a lot in advance.

January 11, 2018 08:48

@Verfacil I'm afraid we replaced our gateways some time ago and so I've no idea what the current status of software support is. I'd recommend contacting IMST.

January 9, 2018 08:38

Andrew. I cannot believe how stuck I am with this! I built the gateway (pi3 & ic880a) and used the TTN automated files for set up. I have even successfully created the "gateway_remote_config" .json file and it was merged okay (no idea how I achieved that!. I just don't know how Github actually works and your line "So instead I used the install.sh script as a crib to manually installing, and performed the following" just sent me in a spin! I am guessing I don't know enough about Pi software either. Is there a real idiot guide (step by step) for configuring a gateway as I am keen to configure it but it's becoming depressingly hard! :)

February 7, 2018 11:11

@Verfacil Did you manage to get some help? I installed and setup a Raspberry Pi 3, using these instructions https://github.com/ttn-zh/ic880a-gateway/wiki What I found was that when I tried to download the software from Github, it failed. What I discovered is that you have to install Git onto the Raspberry PI 3, before attempting to follow the instructions for downloading the software FROM Github (as its not already on the PI). Type this to install the Git software onto the PI: sudo apt-get install git Once you have installed Git, then follow the TTN software installation instructions, for download from Github. If you need any more help, let me know. Craig Miles

February 12, 2018 08:35

@yeswayltd - Hi Craig, saw your comment above and I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I've built and set up the gateway following the instructions you provided the link for. I've also added the config file to GitHub at https://github.com/ttn-zh/gateway-remote-config but when I go to the TTN console the gateway shows as not connected. I did note this on the remote config repository page "The content of the file should be your local_conf.json" so I'm wondering if to get started I have to create this file or at least modify what's written by default. I'm newish to Linux and RPi so somethings others take for granted, like issuing instructions via the command line I need a bit more help with (but I get there in the end). Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Steve

October 25, 2017 10:00

Great writeup, one of the most detailed I've seen so far. Hope to see more info on how the gateway is performing since last year and any challenges encountered.

August 18, 2017 07:51

Do you have a link for the mains / DC distribution din rail sections? Very neat way to do it.

April 12, 2017 14:18

Hi Andrew, great write up - I used it to build my own gateway. Question: How do you define the legal status of your gateway? As far as I can see it isn't CE certified and therefore is illegal to operate in the UK.

March 10, 2017 09:58

Really nice! I hope to correspond soon after my similar project is underway.

August 31, 2016 11:27

Hi there

Nice integration. Could you tell which surge arresters you used? Did you use any other protection matters?

April 21, 2016 09:59

My email is oscarmakori@gmail.com

April 21, 2016 09:58

Hi, Please anyone assist me to set up and test a LoRaWAN gateway. I have bought everything needed, Raspberry pi, and ic800a. But trying to follow up the instruction given all over I can prove if I have done the correct thing because I cant see how to confirm its working.

April 1, 2016 08:52

Brilliant write-up, and it looks like a top job!

March 29, 2016 00:46

Hi there!

Awesome description of the process of building this! Also great to see that our installer script served at least as inspiration! I took advice from you and changed it to make the hostname changing optional and switching to wiringpi packaged instead of built from source.

Cheers!