A Pi-Powered Plan 9 Cluster

Andrew Back
Open source (hardware and software!) advocate, Treasurer and Director of the Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation, organiser of Wuthering Bytes technology festival and founder of the Open Source Hardware User Group.

Comments

October 9, 2019 08:02

I really like that monitor. What is it?

June 28, 2019 07:15

Nice small package.

Plan9 has a small, but loyal following,
I use it as my desktop

March 19, 2019 07:29

Uh, have any of you used Plan 9? I mean we're talking something very old and in many ways incomplete. Imagine Linux before .99 and then imagine that but about 10 times worse. Food for thought. I'd rather run a LISP engine.

April 3, 2019 08:36

• Moderated

@ChristopherCox but you can run a LSP engine (http://lfe.io/) on top of ERLANG, as you will find we went away from functional programming for the wrong reasons. The only real problem for a Plan 9 cluster is whether you can write code. Yes, all your pre-canned games likely won't run on it, without a little sweat. The question is whether one digs out Alef, or uses a Go port someone has run on Plan 9 (https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Plan9) OR, indeed sweat out a port of Chapel. Go, being channel based, as was Alef, seemed the sane option. It also suggests that Alef need no have lapsed, since everything old is new again. I guess, if running Go on Plan 9 makes sense, to get around the constraints on Go given the limits of distribution of processes in linux, then it might make sense. Especially if Plan 9 is a lightweight OS, mostly only an OS, and not unlike then the lightweight approach Docker brings to the table. Of course, if you really want to avoid old things, then byte code interpretation is bad right, that's why we don't like Smaltalk.

March 20, 2019 16:41

@ChristopherCox I have, yes. A little "unfinished" to some it may be, but this doesn't mean that it is not fun — and fun is a very subjective thing :o)

March 7, 2018 11:56

The tool is a hot wire acrylic bending machine. It's basically just a nichrome wire and power supply, with a frame and mechanism to aid folding. I don't think that RS do stock these at present.

March 5, 2018 13:44

What is the plastic sheet bending tool used to form the case?
Does RS stock a similar unit?
P.S. Ed Wood proves that some things *shouldn't* be done just because you can! :)