Menu Search
Ask a Question

When will a Text capability be added?

I would like to be able to add some text to my simple objects for 3D printing. I don't see that DS Mech. has any text capabilities at all.

When would this "feature" be available? My friends all use Fusion 360 and have full text object capabilities. I've searched the online help and besides "notes" and "balloons" there is not evena text tool available.

I have the "free" DS license.

Comments

January 13, 2020 16:07

Adding text with the dimension tool isn't that hard once you've done it a few times. As for getting a dedicated Text tool, don't hold your breath. DSM is based upon the powerful commercial CAD system SpaceClaim - which is NOT free. It costs thousands of dollars and is part of ANSYS - high end FEA engineering software.
We are very lucky that we got as much of SpaceClaim as we did for free.
I'm amazed that we got the Blend tool back in V4.0. That was taken out after V1.0. There are a few other modeling tools that were intentionally omitted too - such as a 3D mirror tool. The thing I miss most if the ability to export STEP or IGES files. This is the biggest brick wall to being able to use DSM in a commercial environment. Fortunately, I also have access to a floating ANSYS/SpaceClaim license at work. when I need to share my DSM designs with others in the workplace, I can read the .rsdoc file into SpaceClaim and then export it as a STEP file.
There is also a paid add-on for DSM that allows this. I think it makes a lot of sense from a business standpoint to limit the fuinctions of DSM that would be most needed in a commercial environment. If they gave away all of the functionality of SpaceClaim in DSM, they'd be out of business pretty fast.

January 13, 2020 12:59

Great that it can be done... But why isn't there an easy way, like a button "Add text". Would this be too much to ask? I'm happy with a solution, but it's not very intuitive.

January 13, 2020 16:06

@BvdTillaar hi, have to agree with you fully, it's not very intuitive...but as a 'free tool', i put up with ( and accept) many frustrations. An enhauncement of 'ADD TEXT' tool can be made and i'll vote for it.

January 1, 2020 13:39

Hi.
my first text imprinting.
Ask if unsure...

January 1, 2020 13:39

Hi - Yes, it can be done now.
Please refer to youtube - and enter 'DesignSpark Mechanical Text' - there are a couple of examples.
Sorry, i have not done this myself but i know it's easily possible.

January 13, 2020 12:59

@TAH1712 I strongly urge you to try it yourself - I think that you will change your mind - especially if you need to add a lot of text.

January 13, 2020 12:59

@TAH1712 Yes - it can be done but it is not a dedicated text tool. You need to use the text within the dimensioning tool which is quite awkward. It also has restrictions - i.e. setting the text at various, angles, text colour, text importation, formatting to name but four. In my view this is the single most important tool that could be added to DSM.

January 13, 2020 16:06

@miopicman Perhaps all the tools you need are in the drawing or exchange modules - if so, it's not unreasonable to charge for them IMO. If all the tools aren't there either, then you have to go looking for them elsewhere - that really is the only option... DSM and 'your view' might not be on a convergent path! ps you could be utterly correct - it's been my experience to go and get what i need rather than to expect oneday all will be fine if...

January 13, 2020 16:07

@miopicman it can be raised as a DSM new feature request and voted upon. please suggest it and i'll vote for it . ( it may already have been suggested - i don't know)