Red Pitaya Bears Fruit and it Tastes Good
Andrew Back
Open source (hardware and software!) advocate, Treasurer and Director of the Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation, organiser of Wuthering Bytes technology festival and founder of the Open Source Hardware User Group.

Comments

April 4, 2014 10:08

@boss
"For my instrumentation development with microcontrollers (mBed 1768, ARM and PIC) I feel it will meet the majority of my requirements from low frequency analogue to my faster digital measurements."

For this you mainly use the digital part - this is not that much better than on the Analog Discovery Kit.

The main essential thing for students the Analog Discovery Kit comes for only 140€ incl. BNC adapter.

In the meanwhile also a SDK is available for Windows and Linux - a step towards open-source.

March 29, 2014 08:43

@mmcv, "Analog Discovery Kit from Digilent is nice too and a bit cheaper." Yes that's a nice piece of kit as well but only 5MHz bandwidth so will appeal to less. It has a great range of tools though. I look forward to the Red Pitaya developing software like this and more with the Open Source licensing.

@pettefar, "Unfortunately it is too slow for either microprocessor or higher frequency radio work. It seems OK for LF, SW and Arduinos but is fairly expensive for such limited applications. It is easy to pick up cheap used 200MHz digital 'scopes. I want/need a GHz system!"
So do I! But I think you are missing all the other functions available on the RedPitaya, It's far from being "just a scope".
Also with open source there is the opportunity for many niche instruments being developed (It's just software!).
I have also seen discussions on their forum for converters for higher frequency radio work, and even SDR discussions, so those may develop after take up by the community.

March 28, 2014 22:55

I had a look at this project. Unfortunately it is too slow for either microprocessor or higher frequency radio work. It seems OK for LF, SW and Arduinos but is fairly expensive for such limited applications. It is easy to pick up cheap used 200MHz digital 'scopes.

I want/need a GHz system!

March 28, 2014 16:59

Analog Discovery Kit from Digilent is nice too and a bit cheaper.
http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Det ... -DISCOVERY

March 24, 2014 11:59

Excellent review Andrew (these are always a pleasure to read).

This is clearly a very powerful and flexible piece of hardware and being Open Source I can see many exciting application areas developing for the electronics engineer (transfer function analyser, swept frequency signal generator, semiconductor tester, inductor and tuned circuit tests and many more) through to laboratory applications such as electro-chemistry.

Looking at the specs the fast 14bit A/D (with a large storage buffer) is excellent for many areas and will allow zooming (as you show with the spectrum analyser) for examination of those elusive smaller signals.

One other area that has plagued me with USB scopes is noise injected from the PC USB connection into scope and then to my circuit, corrupting the measured signals. This being network connected provides an isolated barrier, so it is much more measurement friendly.

Thanks for sharing.

March 21, 2014 12:47

Hi Robert,

I'm not sure if a retail price has been announced yet.

I have to say I was quite surprised at how fast the web interface updated, and you are right in that the web server runs under Linux — it uses nginx (a great choice for performance). Given the nature of the product there is obviously nothing to stop people from developing other interfaces, e.g. X11 or VNC, for applications where latency has to be as low as possible. In fact, given there is FPGA GPIO I'd be amazed if within the next 6 months we didn't see someone wire up an LCD or OLED display, with perhaps some hardware buttons for control too.

March 21, 2014 12:29

It does a lot but for how much money? the kickstarter was for ~$400, is there an RRP for this yet?

How fast does the device update the web gui, I'm guessing that the onboard Linux distro is hosting the web app.

Regards