Hack Superman - Launch Day
Pete Wood
Geek, Blogger, Gadget Junkie, Crisp addict, Technology Evangelist. ***If you meet me, ask me for the Pete and Greet Badge code.*** DesignSpark Team. twitter - @petenwood

Comments

January 5, 2016 01:11

That's actually pretty impressing stuff!
I couldn't believe it when I first saw this. A Raspberry Pi 40km in the sky!

I've also mentioned this in one of my blog posts, where I also talk about many other cool Raspberry Pi projects, so make sure to take a look here: http://howtotec.net/raspberrypi/raspber ... rry-pi-b-2

November 30, 2014 04:19

Great project, and great video! My burning question: What is the music used in the video, and where can we find it?

November 19, 2014 15:23

Well spotted fredthomke :0)

I'd like to say I free falled next to him with a camera... however, we did what was affectionately referred to on the project as the " Hollywood shot"... I.E, We did more than one take and edited the video together :0) We decided to send him up twice so that we could film Superman coming down without having to attach any cameras to him. This gave us a much cleaner shot of him free falling. We attached Superman to a frame, with him at one end and a 4K Video Camera and a Pi Camera the other end. When the balloon burst, he fell back to earth and we cut the two videos together.

Many hours were invested by the team designing the tracking boards and capsule and putting it all together. Our capsule was fully loaded with 3 x 4K Cameras, 5 trackers (2 we designed, 3 were "Pi in the Sky" units for backup) plus antenna, batteries etc. However to build your own, you could do it for a few hundred £pounds. The biggest cost is gas and the Weather balloon.

Pete

fredthomke wrote:
> Superb work, folks!! Just curious questions:
> 1- I see the three cams on the capsule, but how was a cam able to follow Superman
> during his parachute descent? Where/how was that cam mounted?
> 2- What was the overall cost for a project this size -- dozens, hundreds, thousands
> of $$$ (or pounds or euros, as the case may be)?
> 3- How may man-hours do you think was invested?
> Thanks, and keep up the experimenting!!!
> - - fred

November 18, 2014 21:50

Superb work, folks!! Just curious questions:

1- I see the three cams on the capsule, but how was a cam able to follow Superman during his parachute descent? Where/how was that cam mounted?

2- What was the overall cost for a project this size -- dozens, hundreds, thousands of $$$ (or pounds or euros, as the case may be)?

3- How may man-hours do you think was invested?

Thanks, and keep up the experimenting!!!

- - fred

November 17, 2014 14:19

That looks like brilliant fun - and a lot of coordination! Already in anticipation of the next 'challenge'. Dr Who could do with some help I'm sure......

November 10, 2014 13:01

Fantastic, great project, well done.

November 10, 2014 12:53