Menu Search
Ask a Question

Can I lay out a left hand PCB then mirror it without having to layout the right PCB

I have completed a Left hand PCB layout with top SMD components and bottom layer IDC connectors..............nice and easy just what I wanted.

My question is now ....how can I mirror the Left hand PCB to create a RIght handed PCB without having to layout the right hand PCB from scratch.

I have tried using block copy and flip however, that creates the right hand PCB but all the components and tracks are swapped from top to bottom layer which is not what I want.

I just want it mirrored not mirrored and flipped.

Am I missing something obvious here? surely there must be a mirror function to copy all elelments from left to right?

Thanks

Gary

Comments

December 9, 2019 08:14

Ok its clear I cannot achieve this simple task in the PCB creation however, the suggestion of output plot settings is worth a try.
I am simply trying to avoid laying out a handed PCB then having to do it all again on the other hand.

Thanks

Gary

December 4, 2019 09:08

I agree that the F command flips layers at the same time.

I don't think there is a command to do what you are asking.
But I have a product with left and right hand versions of a board, so I'm experienced with the issues. You aren't likely to find a single command to do what you want because merely mirroring the layout doesn't work for non-symmetric components.
A resistor is symmetric - you can swap ends left-to-right, and it works the same. But a diode is not - you'd have to rotate the diode 180 when installing it in the right-left-mirrored design.
Most ICs and connectors, as well as some capacitors, are likewise non-symmetric. And in most cases, it isn't just a matter of rotating the component 180 degrees. A decent layout for the left-right-flipped version will frequently be quite different that the non-flipped version, even though locations of user interface elements (indicators, pushbuttons, and rotary shafts) may be (and need to be) an exact mirror of the non-flipped version.

If what you are wanting is just a true mirroring of the copper or silkscreen to accommodate board manufacturing technique (like toner transfer of the pattern for etching), this can be accomplished in the output plot settings.

December 4, 2019 09:08

Hi

Tried copying all creating a new project then flipping it......same result unfortunately.

Gary

December 5, 2019 08:45

@MAXPOWER I think flipping the whole design is too risky to do mistake. I think it is better to just flip board outline (in 2nd PCB file) flip tracks artwork layer by layer, but If you need exact flipped copy maybe it is better to user Gerber processing software to do the trick? If Flipping goes from top to bottom instead of left to right - then I think flipping and rotating 180 deg. should have same effect.

December 3, 2019 15:46

Hi

I had tried the F button previously and I have now tried and double checked your suggestions including the F button again and also a new project but still the same result.

It mirrors the PCB but flips the components and tracks from top to bottom and bottom to top.

Thanks

Gary

December 3, 2019 15:46

Did you try selecting everything and using key 'F' to flip the board? This should work from left - to right or opposite. Not top to bottom of the layer sack. By the way our free software is not handling very well two PCBs on one canvas/file, so for that 2nd PCB it is better to use separate project or at least separate PCB file. You can copy paste design from file to file in DSPCB.
List of shortcuts you can find in menu HELP > Shortcut Keys...

December 3, 2019 15:46