Autonomous System Development Platform

ElectricJosh

Downloads

A keen electronic engineer with a passion for automotive systems and autonomous robotics. A progressive love of cars, engines and classic mechanics. Advocate for clean energy, transport and alternative fuels. Compulsive tea drinker. BrightSpark 2017. BEng MIET

Comments

June 11, 2018 09:43

Hi. Thanks for sharing your project. Are you able to share some more details:
1) Which motors and gear boxes did you use, and where did you source them from?
2) Are you willing to share your PCB schematic?
Thanks.

June 12, 2018 08:16

@matthewgkerr Hello. Yes of course, I used 555 12v gearbox motors that I found on eBay. Although they are somewhat slow they have huge torque. I have attached the schematic and PCB files to this article for you to use although they may be missing references to my computer’s component library. The circuit works well but needs some minor changes, I would advise using it for reference and deriving your own design. :)

June 6, 2018 07:26

Are you using a classic bluetooth module or a bluetooth low energy module? I am curious because I have a BLE plugin for Unity that would be great to help developers write quick apps in Unity3D that could control your device if it is BLE. If not I can recommend a few BLE modules that would work.

June 7, 2018 08:25

@tpitman I am using a classic Bluetooth module that communicates with an app I made in Android Studio. I am familiar with the Unity3D environment though and how powerful it can be when linking external hardware. Sharing elements of the .NET framework is extremely useful for Windows environments but I have not yet tried to expand Unity in the context of Android. I would certainly be interested in seeing what you have done!

June 5, 2018 09:57

A great project. Personally, I would like full details about the mechanical side (in Metric) since I need to give that to someone to build it for me.

I would highly recommend encoders on the wheels - I assume you have some sort of current load detection for wheels that are "sticky" ??.

June 6, 2018 07:26

@Bonzadog Thank you very much. I would be very happy to support you with any mechanical information as best I can. Certainly I would love to see what you have planned! I will provide you with my email, feel free to get in touch. The current system uses very simple open-loop motor control, but it would not be difficult to add current-sensing or perhaps an encoder like you suggested for a more sophisticated limited-slip or stick-detection system. The addition of independent suspension would also greatly improve traction and control, which I may add in later iterations.

June 5, 2018 09:57

where is autonomous behavior ?

June 6, 2018 07:22

@anto2tr The system was purposely designed to be a basic platform from which autonomous systems can be developed and tested. The standalone unit only focuses on basic movement control functions while the array of expandable interfaces allows more advanced functionality to be developed. A selection of raw analogue, I2C, SPI, UART and Bluetooth enables the use of both maker and industrial style sensors, breakout-boards and smart-devices to augment the platform’s base movement functions.