Arduino Powered Useless Machine

milnepe
I'm a big Open Source fan and Linux aficionado with a penchant for Italian motorbikes

Comments

February 27, 2017 09:52

I own a 1974 Laverda sf

August 27, 2016 22:11

DesignSpark schematics, BOM and code are all available on GitHub link at bottom of post. I just used a prototyping board which was very easy to build.

August 25, 2016 19:06

Any danger of a list of parts and a step-by-step 'how-to' for those of us with an interest in following in your footsteps but having (very!) limited technical competence? I know you credit Mortenson's original, but the starting point for his model was a "home made PCB", and that's enough to put me off....

Thanks
ian

August 24, 2016 08:09

You could make the microcontroller power down each time it switches the switch off but this would make the lid and arm less reactive, which would detract from the fun. You would also need to handle powering down so the arm retracts and lid closes after the switch has been activated.

August 23, 2016 11:00

Bit late I know, but why doesn't it actually switch itself off? What if you spring loaded it, so it could return to the box? Although the action to switch off would take more power from the servos, surely you make up for that by the fact that it is genuinely off.

June 21, 2016 20:30

Nice post, but 0.5A in sleep mode is too much! If you're looking to run your project for longer periods you could you this board https://talk2.wisen.com.au/product-talk ... -node-avr/ as controller, maybe powered by one or two Alkaline AA... this board does less than 4uA in Sleep. Also, to power the servos from another power supply, maybe some non-recharchable Lithium as the rechargeable types normally have a big self dircharge rate. Cheers

May 31, 2016 13:18

If I wanted to add a regulated supply using batteries to power the Atmega and servos, what would be the most energy efficient way to do this given that the box has to stay powered on for long periods of time in its low power state? Say if I needed to power the Atmega at 3.3V and servos at 6V?

May 3, 2016 15:41

It may be “useless” but I’ve really enjoyed the challenge of building it and making it reliable. I’ve now got a much better understanding of using interrupts and power saving techniques that I can use in other more “useful” projects. It also attracts a lot of laughs when you leave it around in the office and people wonder what it is and whether to switch it on!

April 30, 2016 08:20

I saw the 'useless machine' a while back, laughed and thought "what a waste of time!", but friends thought it was amazing and asked why I didn't make something great like this!

I like your version and it is interesting to see the detail. I was also intrigued by "To start with, the box does not actually switch itself off, it just appears that way.", yes of course! But as an engineer with my brain in auto logical mode I also thought "it's an on/off switch, so it turns itself off".... duh! :)