Students - Share your innovations!
Student Engineers, you are the future and we want to help you share your innovations with the world. Create a DesignSpark article or project showcasing what you are working on and be in with a chance of having access to advice and support in developing your idea, as well as one of our great prizes and limited-edition merch.
What do we want to see?
- Your university and hobby projects
- Thought provoking articles on new technologies
- Everything from your first prototype through to fully developed systems – we want to see it all!
- Register your interest in the competition
- Create your article or project on DesignSpark. Any questions? Comment or email email@example.com.
- Finished? Submit your article for moderation. The DesignSpark team will moderate your article and make it live on the platform if it complies with our community guidelines.
- Promote your article on social media with the hashtag #shareyourinnovation @rsgrassroots and encourage people to like your article on DesignSpark.com
DesignSpark is your engineering platform to share your innovation with the world. Whether you are an electronics, electrical, mechanical, aerospace or any other kind of engineer... DesignSpark is your place to share and connect with a global network of like-minded engineers.
Use DesignSpark to build your professional profile - the projects you post will be seen by engineers, innovators and employers all over the world. Take the opportunity to start sharing your enthusiasm, skills and knowledge today, before you enter the workplace.
Whilst the competition is open for some time, we encourage you to post as soon as possible to maximise your chance of winning the 'most likes' prize. If you would like to make small tweaks to your articles you can do this until the competition Closing Date.
- 4th March 2020 – Open for entries
- 31st July 2020* – Competition closed for new submissions
- 4th August 2020 – All submissions live on DesignSpark.com subject to moderation - DesignSpark likes evaluated on 14th August
- 21st August 2020 – Winners announced online on DesignSpark
* Competition extended from original closure date for new submissions, which was 15th June 2020.
The top three content creators will win our platinum prize of £500 RS shopping basket plus an awesome tech goodie bag.
A selection of special prizes (including a Nintendo Switch) will also be up for grabs in the following categories:
- Most innovative project
- Most significant contribution towards tackling a UN Sustainable Development Goal
- Best video - Most engaging, exciting and well produced video
- Most thought-provoking article
- Most likes – awarded to our most popular content creator based on DesignSpark likes
All entrants to the competition will receive a DesignSpark badge for posting their projects.
Entries will be judged by a minimum of three people using the following criteria.
- Well-structured project or article
- Good standard of written English
- Use of available project elements - Bill-of-materials, summary, headline photo
- Video and photo – high-quality, well-lit and composed photos and/or CAD renders.
- Level of innovation
- Technical depth of material
- Open Source Contribution – Code, Schematics, 3D CAD
- Social media impact – Article views and likes
- Fun and interesting read
Here are some suggestions of things we would like to see, but feel free to be creative!
- Introduce yourself
- What does it do / what problem are you solving?
- What inspired you?
- How it works/The process?
- Why is it different/new?
- What did you learn?
- What next?
Think about the awards you are aiming for, i.e if your project links to a Sustainable Development Goal make sure you mention it, think about what makes a great video and how you might share your content to get more likes.
- Prefix the article Title with "Student Innovation"
- Choose "Students" as the article parent category.
- Choose the correct template to suit your entry!
Create a project - Best suited to projects where you need to add a bill-of-materials (parts list) or code.
Create an article - Best suited to those though-provoking technology articles
** The first 25 people to register interest in the competition will receive an exclusive RS Grass Roots sticker pack **