Rise of the Drones
GregSpencer
GregSpencer has not written a bio yet…

Comments

February 24, 2015 18:54

While I'm enthusiastic about drones, at the same time I worry about their abuse. This concerns me not only from a safety prospective, but also privacy. We already have enough cameras pointing at us practically everywhere we go in public. Drones offer an unprecedented ability to invade our private lives. If I see a drone that appears to be monitoring me, on my own property, even from a distance, I will become suspicious and call the cops. Only responsible use of these devices will prevent this hobby from more and more regulations, which none of us want, but my be necessary. As I read the many articles about this business/hobby, I do not see much mention about responsible use. Everyone writing an article or marketing these devices should remind readers and buyers about responsible use of these devices.

February 23, 2015 18:16

Jim that looks awesome, I really like the anti-vibration tray and mounts for the KK, does it fly well?

February 23, 2015 18:06

Although we have a few electrical engineers at The MakerHive (thanks for the FB like, BTW) I used off the shelf electronics for this project. That's a KK 2.1.5 control board and a QBrain motor controller. The radio is modular, but I have a Turnigy 9R on it at the moment.

Great idea! I'll definitely write a post about it.

February 23, 2015 17:48

Very nice blog, Greg !

Hi Jim, awesome work you've done there! This is a great example of the cool stuff you can do with DesignSpark Mechanical :)
Please share your design journey with pictures/videos in a DesignSpark Blog.
Will be a great read for all the innovators and makers out there.

February 23, 2015 16:27

jimustanguitar, that's very cool! Have you designed the Electronics too?

February 23, 2015 14:52

The proliferation of drones and their use by unlicensed and unskilled users has raised serious concern amongst airline and General Aviation pilots.

There have been potential accidents reported.

Unless there is a severe limitation enforced by legal penalties forthcoming there will eventualy be a tragic loss of life.

For one of these drones operating within the same airspace and there have been reports already, see this month's edition of Pilot magazine, disaster is only a matter of time.

hwh

February 23, 2015 14:40

I would have been nice if you had credited the sites you copied your article's images from. For instance I recognize two of the images as being from www.openpilot.org. Even images licensed CC-BY-SA require credit (the BY part) as a condition of reusing their material.

February 23, 2015 14:15

I'd love to discuss my recent quadcopter project with you as a part of this series. I used DesignSpark Mechanical to design everything from scratch and 3D printed it. Everything that's green (except the props) was drawn in DSM2 and 3D printed. I even 3D printed my own molds to make the silicone vibration isolators. http://imgur.com/a/saqbM