March 15, 2017 10:53
NEW PSoC 6: A Cypress Microcontroller Purpose-Built for the Internet of Things
Designers of next generation IoT devices now don’t have to choose between high performance and ultra-low power, as the new PSoC 6 MCU architecture delivers both.
Built on an advanced, ultra-low-power 40nm process technology, PSoC 6 sets a new, industry leading ultra-low-power benchmark. It bridges the gap between power hungry application processors and low performance single core MCUs that are used today in IoT devices. PSoC 6 provides the ultra-low-power and high-performance required by IoT devices today, with its dual-core ARM®Cortex®-M architecture, and the cutting-edge ultra-low-power 40-nm process technology it is built on. And in addition to this balance, this new MCU architecture seamlessly integrates critical, hardware-based security that will be in imperative in the devices of the future. As stated above, this is a game changing device by Cypress that will be defining – in the era of the Internet of Things.
The Internet of Things is connecting everyday physical objects to the internet that have never been connected before. This is now a commercial reality, and will only become more of a reality with time. An estimated 30 billion everyday physical objects will be a part of the Internet of Things by 2020.
Embedded solutions are the heart of the IoT, and engineers designing such systems require a few different things:
- Extended battery life without sacrificing performance
- Innovative and differentiated features that provide value to their end customers
- Protection of their end-products against cyber vulnerabilities and threats
PSoC 6, being purpose-built for IoT applications, addresses these critical requirements and more, delivering the following features:
- Dual-core ARM Cortex-M4 and ARM Cortex-M0+, running at 150-MHz and 100-MHz, ultra-low-power 40nm architecture
- Industry-leading ultra-low-power design that consumes as little as 22-μA/MHz in active power modes
- Best-in-class flexibility with wired and wireless connectivity options, software defined peripherals and industry-leading CapSense®
- Integrated, hardware-based Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) with secure data storage
- And with these capabilities, PSoC 6 drives a new standard for the Internet of Things, enabling end products with:
PSoC 6 is truly an IoT Game Changer. Want to stay informed?
Click below to join the PSoC 6 Early Adopter Program. In this community, you will receive the latest news on our PSoC 6 solutions, interact with us in the discussion forum, and have a chance to win a PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit. We will be updating content on this community frequently and interacting through the discussion forums with you and other members.
And in the meantime, why not start prototyping your next IoT Design? Pick up these PSoC MCU Dev Kits from RS-Components and start today!
Matthew received his undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Santa Clara University. Matthew now works at Cypress Semiconductor in San Jose, CA as a Product Marketing Engineer. Cypress’ advanced system-level solutions are Embedded in Tomorrow™. From the entrepreneur building a revolutionary new product in a garage to the Fortune 500 engineering team tasked with making the impossible happen now, Cypress is today’s technology partner for tomorrow’s innovations.