Our 10th Birthday Gift to You: DS Mechanical V5.0

leonie
DesignSpark Community Manager and all-around geek girl.

Comments

VdH

August 2, 2020 12:41

And is there really no way to safe a DSM 5.0 design in DSM 4 format? This would be a show killer...

August 2, 2020 12:39

@VdH Hi, the RSDOC format is not forwards compatible - older versions cannot recognize files saved/edited with new versions as the file structure changes with major revisions. You could save designs in other formats like SKP (SketchUp) and import to v4. The native format is only backwards compatible (old files open in new version): https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012564733

VdH

August 3, 2020 09:12

@Joy Ch Well, I do not expect a format to be "forward compatible" in the way that DSM 4 should be able to read DSM 5 files. BUT: many professional Apps like WORD etc. do have saving options which allow saving files in back versions. So I would have expected a saving option of DSM 5 like "save in DSM 4 compatible format" or "save in DSM 3 compatible format". Without this option, it gets harder and harder to exchange files in a community of people who have not yet or will not change the version. You certainly know that there are certain companies who do not allow their employees to upgrade to newer versions of software due to missing approvals Like the company with the two big red letters). Is there really no possibility to encourage the manufacturer to give us this option instead of reducing our possibilities to exchange data between versions to a foreign format ex- and import?

August 6, 2020 17:15

@VdH Hi Volker, I agree it will be very useful to have old version support in RSDOC export options like there is for SketchUp. I have relayed your feedback to the developer and their file storage engineer will look at this capability for the next version.

VdH

August 2, 2020 12:41

After a while playing around I also was not able to safe a 3D PDF (system responded with error message) and there is no way to import DXF although I do have the Export/Import extension module for the V4 Version.

August 2, 2020 12:39

@VdH Make sure you installed the 'translators' program which enables import & export of some file formats including STL and 3D PDFs. Check the detailed setup instructions for v5.0: https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010645273-Setup-instructions-DesignSpark-Mechanical-5-0 AutoCAD DXF import was never supported with DSM, even with add-ons. It is one of the limitations placed by the developer for the free version. Only DXF export is possible.

VdH

August 3, 2020 09:12

@Joy Ch @Joy Ch Thanks for the Sunday work :-) It was indeed an incomplete "Translators" installation. After re-installing I have all the options back.

VdH

August 2, 2020 12:41

Should the 4.0 paid "exchange bundle" upgrade work with 5.0? After updating to 5.0 I've no longer *.IGES and *.STEP options in the "open file" window. With *.* I could no longer open an IGS file. Any information about the paid upgrades and their compatibility to the 5.0 version?

August 2, 2020 12:39

@VdH yes, add-ons are compatible with all upgrades to DSM including 5.0. The setup instructions confirm this. https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010645273-Setup-instructions-DesignSpark-Mechanical-5-0 https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212000205-Will-the-add-on-modules-work-with-future-versions-of-DesignSpark-Mechanical- Again, check my reply above regarding step 2 of installation. The 'translators' program may not have been installed.

VdH

August 3, 2020 09:11

July 27, 2020 10:23

much appreciated for the work you people do. Thanks for the update and the software!

July 21, 2020 14:49

Hello, what do you mean about Gift?

July 21, 2020 15:09

@Marco45 I mean our free software upgrade, making it even better for you :)

July 20, 2020 14:45

• Moderated

Váš software využívám téměř pořád a nic lepšího pro mě není. Jen tak dál a hodně úspěchů při zlepšování tohoto software.
Moderator added translation:
I use your software almost all the time and there is nothing better for me. Just keep going and improving this software.