Listen in to Radio Signals from around the world with an SDRplay box and a length of wire

Pete Wood
Geek Dad, Blogger, Gadget Junkie, Technology Evangelist. ***If you meet me, ask me for the Pete and Greet Badge code.*** DesignSpark Team. twitter - @petenwood

Comments

August 10, 2020 12:18

Is this device available in the US?

August 10, 2020 12:18

Excellent Pete

May 5, 2020 08:22

Love it!

April 29, 2020 12:38

Brilliant Pete! For anybody interested in ham radio, you can hear Pete talking about it on Episode 1 of our podcast at https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/geeks-we-are-your-fathers-1-ham-radio-gaming-and-working-from-home

April 28, 2020 08:07

Great post, thanks Pete, I think I might explore this activity. I have found the aerial wire already while tidying my garage, see attached image.
I should be able to tune in Radio Luxembourg with these old electrons....

April 29, 2020 12:44

@Boss wow!!! what an awesome retro cable! @Andrew Back, check this out!

April 29, 2020 12:44

@Pete Wood Very cool indeed! Never seen that cable before and have a real soft spot for vintage products/product marketing.

April 28, 2020 08:07

What an excellent piece of kit, thanks for posting about that Pete. I love listening into air traffic control with my handheld radio scanner and I would love to start experimenting with software defined radio. Your video made it look very easy, I will have to give this a go!

April 28, 2020 08:07

@ElectricJosh Thanks! The basics are easy, then it's fun to start to learn what all the functions do to get better results. I've got a Uniden handheld Scanner that I use for Air traffic, the SDRplay allows you to do so much more! I'd also encourage you take the Foundation Radio Ham licence, I did a weekend course and the exam is multiple choice. I'm looking at the Intermediate licence next, that's a bit more study and more practical stuff that involve getting your soldering iron out.

April 28, 2020 08:07

@Pete Wood I am very impressed with how functional it looks, I can see how it would be fun to spend hours experimenting and learning about all the different functions. I have seriously considered getting a HAM licence in the past, I will have to come up with some big radio projects then definitely give it another look!

May 4, 2020 10:00

@ElectricJosh Give amateur radio a go! It’s not difficult for beginners to learn the basics. Three steps to a full license, the basic one was passed by a nine year old and a 70 year old at our local club. Check out the RSGB website for details of your nearest club offering tuition.

May 5, 2020 08:22

@Clive_Cosgrif Thank you for your encouragement. I am very interested in both the theory and practical sides of amateur radio so I will definitely give this another look!