Menu Search
Ask a Question

How do I separate chess pieces in one file into different files for each piece?

I am just getting started in 3D printing (1 week) and downloaded a file that has all the pieces for a chess set but only one for each type of piece.  How do I separate the pieces so I can have a separate file for the pawn, rook, king, queen, etc?

Comments

November 7, 2019 08:10

3D Builder screenshot in attachment

November 6, 2019 09:19

Thanks for your help. I am such a newbee that I am probably just not aware of how it works, but there are no solids or components listed in the structure tree, just facets. Here a screenshot of what I see.

November 5, 2019 08:21

Make each Solid into a 'Component'
Select the Solid in the Structure tree - Right click - Move to new Component. Give it a meaningful name.
Each Component can now be selected in the Structure tree - Right click - Open Component. This will open it in its own window and can be saved as a separate file.
see image.

November 6, 2019 09:19

@JACANT Thanks for your help. I am such a newbee that I probably just don't know how this works but I do not see any solids or components in the structure tree. Just facets.

November 7, 2019 08:10

@drsanders Right Click the Facets in the Structure tree - Convert to Solid - Merge Faces. Dependent on the complexity this may not be feasible. This will 'Merge' all triangles on each 'Flat' face. It will not 'Smooth' out arcs or circles that are made up of many 'Flat' lines/faces. An STL file is an approximation of the surface of the model split up into triangles. The more triangles the smoother the model. Windows 3D Builder can separate STL files. Right click the STL file in Windows. Open with 3D Builder - Select All - Ungroup. Deselect All. Now 'Drag' each piece onto your desktop. Deselect then drag next piece. These will be 3MF files. They can be opened in 'Ultmaker Cura' software to use on a 3D printer. If you really need an STL file then Open each individual file in 3D Builder and save as STL. Give it a meaningful name.

November 7, 2019 08:10

@JACANT Converting the Facets to Solids did not work but I used 3D Builder and did exactly what you said and they all separated out nicely. Thanks!