How do you feel about this article? Help us to provide better content for you.
Thank you! Your feedback has been received.
There was a problem submitting your feedback, please try again later.
What do you think of this article?
The PLC relay range from Phoenix Contact is 25 years old this year – who would believe it – time passes so fast!
The range may be long in the tooth, but there are always new editions being born and this year is no exception. Check out the new DC hybrid relay below:
What problems can occur when DC is switched with standard relays?
- High inrush currents due to capacitive loads
- No zero passing in the supply voltage causes arcs in the contact system when switching off
- You need to consider the DC-load limiting curve
- Limited lifetime of the contacts
All these issues are overcome by using the new DC hybrid relay
- Contacts rated to switch up to 250 VDC and up to 10 A switching capacity
- Up to 60% space saving solution compared to traditional existing solutions with a width of only 14 mm L
- Long lifetime of the system due to hybrid technology
- Common accessories with the standard PLC relays
- Only 0.16W power dissipation, reducing energy demands
- Screw and Push-In variants
Applications for these new relays include:
- Switching small DC Motors
- DC to DC converters
- Power Supplies
- LED Lighting
- Solenoid Valves
- Magnetic Coupling
- Battery Systems
Written by Fraser Cowie, Product Manager- Interface