Quadrature Encoder Basics Part 2: Practice

Mr.Bit

Downloads

Electro-mechanical background with interest in motion control and automation, DC, EC, Steppers! Low Cost Automation Engineer at igus, UK.

Comments

June 20, 2019 07:23

thanks again Mr. bit for sharing,
I wrote a code attached to this comment, in order to count pulses channel A and B will send to us; however, when I change the direction of the motor, pulses will still increasing. My code is so similar to yours as you can check.

June 20, 2019 07:23

Hello Mr. Bit,
Thank you for your article, it was really helpful for me.
When do you release new articles about the controllers of motor?
Do you have any articles about controlling the position and velocity of a dc motor encoder with PID controller?
wish you the best.

March 5, 2019 09:13

Thanks for this nice article. I had implemented an encoder application that measures approximately 12cm of movement for a painting cylinder machine. I had interfaced an 2x16 character lcd. But since the lcd's are requring timing delays I think its better to use seven segment displays.

April 2, 2019 08:51

@isoturco Thank you for the comment. You are right in industrial applications I wouldn't use this for the reasons you stated. (refresh delays) This is for exhibition purposes only. 8-digit displays are in most cases easier to configure as well.

January 29, 2019 08:55

some encoders have a serial output channel, S+,S-, be useful to know how that works! I'd guess a short pulse for a cw step, and a longer one for the other direction.
Thanks for reading, regs Dave.

April 2, 2019 08:51

@DSpond Thank you for the comment! I am not sure but maybe is based on the same principle. If you have a look on the encoder sequence diagram in the article, isolate channel A and B. The same principle is used when two-channel hall sensors are used for positioning. If the rising sequence is B- A - B the the motion is CCW and vice-versa. I hope I answered your question.!

January 16, 2019 08:39

Thanks for sharing!

January 21, 2019 10:26

@Joanna1 Thank you for your comment!