DesignSpark Mechanical v5.0 - What’s New?

Watch the reveal trailer now!

DOWNLOAD DSM v5.0 (64-BIT Only)

SUPPORTED 64-BIT OPERATING SYSTEMS: Microsoft® Windows 7, 8, 10

UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS - EXISTING DSM USERS

Here is a list of the new features:

• Customizable shortcuts - You can assign shortcut keys to quickly run any command supported by DesignSpark Mechanical
  • Views Panel, allow saving views – create any number of custom views to quickly make edits.
  • Measure and Quality tools – analyse your geometry for the size and shape of bodies as well as the quality of bodies created.
  • Mass Properties – a tool to get volume information on designed objects
  • Equations – sketch with mathematical equations
  • Flythrough – a display mode with camera setup to explore inside complex objects
  • Improved Sketch – new constraint-based sketching tools and dedicated 3D sketch mode
  • Enhanced shading - displays objects with shading when exposed to ambient lighting in real life.
  • Custom rendering- adjust the faceting on a per-object basis and for the overall design to get a balance between optimal performance and quality of design output.
  • Pattern of planes – quickly generate a plane pattern to slice objects quickly into equal parts

Read more about the above in the release notes here.

DesignSpark is your go-to engineering design platform from RS Components, providing free CAD software, online resources, and design support. Our flagship CAD software includes DesignSpark PCB, DesignSpark Mechanical and DesignSpark Electrical. Join our community at https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/register

Comments

December 13, 2021 11:40

What gives? Just spent hours working on a project loading V5 in my new machine, and no way to export .obj? Ver 1 easy peasy save as. You guys messed up a very nice program, and I find it very low of your company not to allow me to open another rsdoc created by another version. Figuring that I would be able to open it up and convert thru ver1. I am dumping your platform for another so that I can export to an .obj to slice into G-code.. Shame on you for wasting my time Dissatisfied

December 13, 2021 11:48

• Moderated

@digitheadman - Please make sure you have the translators program installed for DSM v5. You would have been guided to this by the install wizard when first setting up v5.
Please refer to the FAQ here for assistance: https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015216894-Why-am-I-not-able-to-import-export-in-certain-file-formats-although-they-appear-in-the-save-as-list-

The .OBJ file format is available in all versions of DSM

December 14, 2021 08:07

@billd700 Thank you for your feed back. I already deleted it. will reinstall. I didn't see any file options save as or selections during the install process. Just the step one button and step 2 button, done. The other version I don't remember doing that with, but it was a few years ago. ver1. will try again.

September 27, 2021 11:01

I started my adventure with DesignSpark 5.0 and... I hated it. The program is slow (changing to OpenGL driver slows it even more), has many flaws (drawing rectangle from the center by enterning dimensions ruins it), hangs (when trying print preview), and freezing on using several 3D functions (like "Move->Create patterns"). I have very fast modern computer with Windows PRO 64-bit and 32GB od RAM... 2 days ago I got rid of it, and today, I installed old 4.0 version - and you know what - RUNS SUPER FAST, with no freezing so far. Pity I cant open none of my test designs from 5.0 :P

September 27, 2021 11:24

@Tom66 Hi, it might have something to do with the graphics card driver you have. The design operations you mention are quite basic; we have tested on multiple machines and DSM v5.0 can do them effortlessly. Can you please create a DesignSpark Mechanical support ticket here (https://designspark.zendesk.com/requests/new) and send us the log files from when you used v5.0?

Here are instructions how to get those log files: https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001512169-Getting-log-files-in-case-of-software-issues-

We are looking for the ones labelled 'SpaceClaim' and the timestamp next to it will tell you when they were generated (so you can filters ones from v5.0).

August 13, 2020 07:58

My stl exports have gone from 20kb in DSM V4.0 to 2.5Mb when exported in V5.0. Same file. Only now I cannot open the file with V4 anymore and the file size exported from V5.0 is too large to slice. Do I have a setting incorrect wrt to stl export in V5.0 please? Is there a fix for this problem?

July 22, 2020 08:25

You still can't draw a polygon !

July 23, 2020 07:54

@PetrForejt Due to technical reasons, the polygon tool is available only with constraint sketching mode off: https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010756297