Designing a Raspberry Pi Based Intelligent Ultrasonic Bat Detector App

Ugly pirate roaming the seas in search of Treasure

Comments

May 11, 2020 07:52

Hi,

I've bought a Pi 4 just for this project. I am an ecologist in Australia and have been working on automated bat surveying with light barriers. (go to kaluta.zenfolio.com and see the "mammals" gallery for some of my work)

In following your instructions I have hit a snag at step 5. "# cd /home/tegwyn/ultrasonic_classifier/ && bash ultrasonic_classifier_dependancies_install_nano.sh"

There is no such file. How do I get it? Did I miss a step somewhere?

Cheers

Nathan

June 1, 2020 08:17

@NathanLitjens Hi there, maybe you already got into contact with Tegwyn. He is quite quick with his reply's on facebook messenger, and probably also on gmail. The install script is ultrasonic_classifier_dependancies_install.sh, sol lose the part "_nano" and it should run. I got it going an a Pi4 with a SPU0410LR5H-Q mems microphone connected an ALC4040 usb microphone board (from an AU-410H). Yes this is only 192kHz but works quite nice as long as you do not need to capture any horseshoe bat calls.

February 5, 2020 15:51

That's great!
Nice work on the Bat Simulator!

February 4, 2020 17:56

With a little bit of work, I got this working on my Pi4 with an AudioInjector sound card. :-) Sample rate is limited to 192kHz, but the card is a bit cheaper than the UltraMic 384!
I tested it with my real 'Bat Simulator' which plays back actual bat calls (using a PiZeroW + Sound Card) - see attachment.
I have been doing something similar with my Pi, with an existing Bat Classifier program. See my website for details: http://pibat.afraidofsunlight.co.uk/audioinjector-ultra-2

February 7, 2020 09:01

@Hystrix That's great! Did you get a clean recording with the AudioInjector with the onboard mics or did you go outboard? Nice work on the Bat Simulator! I saw your website a while back and it helped inspire me to do this bat classifier project :)

January 28, 2020 11:33

This application could also be used to locate corona discharge on power lines by converting the ultrasonic emissions into the audible range. Faulty power line insulators can often be the cause of fires.

January 29, 2020 10:15

@VK3XP That's really interesting .... Thanks for the tip!

January 28, 2020 11:33

Superb project shame the UltraMic 384 is so expensive

January 28, 2020 11:34

Hello David. It should work fine with .wav AudioMoth data and especially well with the UltraMic. If you need any help with training etc please feel free to give me a shout on tegwyntwmffat[[[[AT]]]]gmail.com

January 27, 2020 10:10

Many thanks for posting this. I'd love to adapt it to work with AudioMoth data and with the older Ultramic 250