Cypress Bluetooth 5.0 IoT Design Contest
Prizes include £500 towards an RS basket plus a Cypress goody bag worth up to £120 of RS-stocked Cypress products.
Nothing excites Cypress more than human ingenuity. As engineers, our role is to give innovators and out-of-the-box thinkers the tools to create breakthrough products and disrupt markets – in record time. That is why, as the leading manufacturer of connectivity solutions for the IoT, Cypress, in partnership with RS-Components is announcing Make With Mesh: The Cypress Bluetooth 5.0 IoT Design Contest.
Cypress’ latest cutting-edge Bluetooth technology, the CYW20819 Bluetooth 5.0 SoC – provides developers with the capabilities needed for their next great IoT design: Ultra-low-power consumption as well as full support for Bluetooth Mesh. Bluetooth Mesh will be revolutionizing the way IoT devices interact and exchange data in Smart Home, Industrial, Healthcare, and other networks. Cypress has a leading position in this emerging technology by providing the industry’s first SIG-compliant Bluetooth Mesh Solution to the market. Our friends at Sylvania have come out with a Smart Bulb that implements Cypress’ Bluetooth Mesh solution – making us the only company with a Bluetooth 5.0 SIG Mesh solution on the market today. Check it out here. CYW20819 is Dual-Mode Bluetooth compliant supporting BR, EDR, and BLE standards.
Now – we want all you in on the fun! In this design contest, we are challenging your creative minds to see what kind of Bluetooth 5.0 IoT project you can build with one (or both, or multiple!) of our CYW20819 Bluetooth 5.0 Kits:
CYW20819 Bluetooth 5.0 Arduino Eval Board (CYW920819EVB-02)
A flexible prototyping platform for CYW20819 that provides a Motion Sensor, Thermistor, and Arduino-compatible headers to allow you to expand functionality with off-the-shelf shields:
EZ-BT™ Bluetooth Mesh Development Kit (CYBT-213043-MESH)
A development platform providing 4 Bluetooth Mesh enabled nodes allowing you to quickly and easily create your own Bluetooth Mesh network. Each node provides a certified Bluetooth module featuring the CYW20819 SoC, as well as an RGB LED, Ambient Light Sensor, Thermistor, and PIR Motion Sensor. This platform a best-in-class user experience with multiple mesh example projects and Android / iOS mobile applications to provision a mesh network.
Software & Resources
Cypress provides an easy-to-use software development environment for the CYW20819 Arduino Eval Board and CYW20819 Bluetooth Mesh Eval Kit, as well as numerous resources such as full user guides, application notes, and multiple example projects including: Bluetooth Mesh, Temperature Sensor, Beacon, and more. Check out the links below to help you make your project successful and get closer to winning one of our grand prizes.
- One-stop-shop for all CYW20819 documentation/resources: CYW20819 Product Guide
- Download this software: ModusToolbox 1.1 IDE & ModusToolbox BT SDK 1.2
- CYW20819 Arduino Eval Board User Guide
- CYW20819 Bluetooth Mesh Eval Kit User Guide
- Getting Started with Bluetooth Mesh Application Note
- CYW20819 Documentation, API, and Example Code Online Guide
- Download CYW20819 Example Projects
- Submit your technical support questions to: ModusToolbox Bluetooth SDK Community Page
1st Place: £500 towards an RS basket plus a Cypress goody bag worth up to £120 of RS-stocked Cypress products
Runner-Up 1: Cypress goodie bag worth up to £120 of RS-stocked Cypress products
Runner-Up 2: Cypress goodie bag worth up to £120 of RS-stocked Cypress products
How to enter.
This is in two stages, stage 1 is to provide a synopsis and stage 2 is the project build phase. Selection of participants who move to stage 2 is judged on the synopsis provided below.
Please note the submission phase has been extended to September 9th.
Design Contest Event
Idea submission phase open
May 13th – June 14th
Cypress choose finalists and send kits
June 14th – June 21st
Project creation and submission phase
June 21st – September 9th
Final project judging
September 10th - 17th
Stage 1 – Provide a synopsis
In the field below provide your synopsis, make sure to answer the questions below
Entry Form Fields:
- What project do you want to build?
- How will users interact with your project? Mobile App, Cloud Dashboard, etc
- What kits (Mesh kit and/or Arduino Eval Board) would you like to use for the project and why?
- What is your experience level with Bluetooth design?
- Will the project use Bluetooth Low Energy, Bluetooth Mesh, or Bluetooth Classic (can choose multiple)?
Stage 2 – Project Build Phase
Free kits will be provided to 25 selected Stage 1 submissions. Participants who don’t have their synopsis chosen or miss the idea phase can still participate in Stage 2 using their own kits.
To participate in Phase 2, this will require you to submit an Article on DesignSpark with a completed overview of the Bluetooth 5 IoT project you build with the Cypress CYW20819 Dev Kit(s), containing the following:
- Project documentation – step by step guide on how your project was built from start to finish using hi-res images, screenshots, video, and text.
- Project completeness - fully working and finished projects will be judged more favourably.
- BOM - list all of your components, apps, and tools.
- Code - well structured, commented code is required.
- Block Diagrams – clear block diagrams on how the final system comes together with all components involved.
Add Article Use "Cypress Design Challenge" prefix within Content TitleLogin to enter