Customisation is KeyFollow article
Customisation of a product can often be key to a successful integration in an application. The height of the actuator, whether it has a strong tactile feeling or no tactile feeling at all, the force, the sound and the material of the contacts, all these elements are important to decide which switch to use in a specific application..
C&K’s KSC tactile switch series offers important customization options to meet most application requirements. For more than 15 years, C&K has improved performance, quality and expanded product options and variations for the KSC family. The KSC Series is more than a product series with defined characteristics, it is a system where configurations can be combined to deliver a complete switch solution.
Actuators, domes, and housings can be mixed in order to obtain the right dimension, haptics and resistance to meet environmental requirements. By offering the right mix, the KSC Series can match specific customer requirements in terms of haptics and durability.
10 KSC series are available, each featuring different heights and actuators to best fit the final application. Shared features of all KSC Series SMT tactile switches include:
- Dielectric strength ≥250Vrms,
- Contact resistance <0.1Ω,
- Insulation resistance >10MΩ,
- Bounce time <1ms,
- 32VDC maximum voltage,
- 50mA maximum current for silver contacts (-40°C and 85°C), and 10mA maximum current for gold contacts (-40°C and 125°C),
- Multiple IP67 series and one IP50 (KSC5),
- Operating life of 300.000 cycles, except for the long life versions that achieve 5 million life cycles.
The Ultra Long Life KSC switches (KSC201 & KSC401 & KSC701 & KSC1001 available in both J-bend and Gullwing versions) are designed to withstand intensive use in various industrial environments, and are available with a wide variety of actuators designed to satisfy specific application requirements with regard to dimensions, haptics, tactile resistance, and durability. The silicon actuators facilitate the switch integration for it is providing possible pre travel and post travel depending on force and actuator hardness. These switches best match applications such as elevator and joystick buttons that require resistant switches.
Switches from the KSC family are mainly found in the following applications:
- Automotive: For the interior of a vehicle, C&K tunes the KSC Series switch’s haptic and acoustic response to perfectly fit any OEM requirements. The flexibility of integration, the precise tolerance, the robustness, and the variety of haptic makes the KSC Series an ideal switch for interior controls. In addition, the KSC Series switch’s IP67-rating and durability make the switch well suited for use on and outside the vehicle body, such as door handles, trunk opener and various mechatronics applications.
- Industrial: Rugged sealing and resistance against corrosive agents make the KSC Series the perfect fit for applications subjected to harsh environments. Durability is proven for applications, such as lift buttons, where ultra-long life up to 5 million cycles is critical. The importance of IP67 sealing is highlighted by applications such as industrial sensors. Fire alarm detectors are now integrating KSC Series switches for their anti-corrosive traits and long operating life. Detect versions are also used in anti-tampering applications.
- Medical: Advanced medical systems are requiring high reliability for switching functions. Due to high sealing, reliability and testing, KSC Series switches can perform several functions for various medical systems. Steam cleaning resistance and excellent tactile feedback make the KSC Series a unique solution for surgery tools.
- Aircraft: High reliability is required in the aircraft industry. KSC Series switches are used for pilot control units where specific haptic and long life are required.