Checking Geometry and Changing Units in DesignSpark Mechanical
DesignSpark Mechanical support zone, Zendesk, is packed with tutorials and guides to help you make the most of the best free-to-download 3D CAD software out there. Here we take a look at checking geometry for errors and changing units…
How do I check my complex design geometry for errors?
With version 4.0, we've made it easier for users to easily find flaws in the geometry of solids and surfaces and then apply the appropriate fixes.
The geometry is checked for all possible ACIS (sat & sab files which make up an RSDOC) errors. Select errors and warnings in the dialogue to highlight the associated geometry in the Design window (Workspace), as shown below.
To check an object's geometry
1. Right-click a solid or surface in the Structure tree.
Select Check Geometry.
2. You can click Stop in the status bar or press Esc to cancel the operation if necessary.
A dialogue will open that lists any errors or warnings found.
3. Select errors and warnings in the dialogue to highlight the associated geometry in the Design window.
4. Select Zoom to fit selection to automatically zoom in to the problem area in the Design window.
5. Click Close when you are finished.
How do you change the unit settings in DSM?
While you are dealing with Geometry errors and if you need to change your units, you do it like this:
Look under File -> DesignSpark options -> Units to change the units settings between metric/imperial and dimensions in mm, cm or m.
There’s plenty of tutorials, videos and guides to help you get to grips with DesignSpark Mechanical 3D CAD software and you can find them all here in Zendesk.