Building a Valve Amplifier Part 3: Testing the Prototype, Adjusting the Design and Planning the Enclosure

Dave Ives
I currently look after production at AB Open. I have a background in the arts, environmental conservation and IT support. In my spare time I do a bit of DJing and I like making things.

Comments

September 2, 2020 08:29

I sadly assume that there were 3 posts to this project. Although there's enough information to go ahead and build one, it would have been nice to see the finished project. It is now the 1st of September, 2020. The pandemic has done wonders for our smartphone era civilization and the Americans are preparing to vote for their present president or a replacement. It would have been nice to see Part 4. By the way, Canadians refer to either tubes or valves. To finish, just a curious observation, the component layout in Part 1 is different to Part 3. Was this intentional?

September 2, 2020 08:35

@torontofred the best way I find to follow posts is to click the username and then select Follow. You will then get a notification when they publish new material, I have followed all 5 posts in this series. Hope this helps, HarryO1

July 29, 2019 06:36

I have experimented with building mono-block amps over the last few months and have settled on the 6P1P-EV valve. It costs 1/5 of an EL84 and lasts up to 4 times longer. I also built a quad EL84 amp but the cost of that was just silly.
As a hint if you are using the Hammond chassis (like I do) then maybe use a thick aluminium mesh as the bottom cover. With feet attached it encourages airflow and helps to cool everything down.

July 30, 2019 07:18

@mbaker335 thanks - I like the mesh idea for the bottom cover

July 8, 2019 06:30

Awesome stuff.Im giving it a crack.What did you do for power supply in the end?

June 25, 2019 12:29

It was common practice in the old days (I'm 86, and used to be a research engineer at The Marconi Co.) to put power transformers cores at right angles to output transformer cores, smoothing chokes, etc., to avoid any magnetic coupling between them from causing hum.

June 27, 2019 07:12

@BrookeHarvey thanks - I'll take that on board when we do the power supply.

June 25, 2019 12:29

I am actually surprised you can still source valves and transformers to go with them. I am not talking of the metal encased Kilowatter valves. I am talking of the glass bottles I grew up with.
The sound from a valve amplifier is just something else. Nothing beats it.