Bitcoin Mining with a Raspberry Pi and DE0-Nano

Andrew Back
Open source (hardware and software!) advocate, Treasurer and Director of the Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation, organiser of Wuthering Bytes technology festival and founder of the Open Source Hardware User Group.

Comments

June 13, 2017 10:46

Fellas i need to exchange btc to payeer, do you think this service https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvukywovqec is legit?

November 27, 2013 19:27

Great article, would it be possible to use multiple FPGAs, or would you need separate serial devices for each one on the Pi?

November 27, 2013 18:23

sorry - a mistake in step 5 --> ignore the brackets

November 27, 2013 18:20

Hi Andrew!

After a couple of days trying and debugging the mining software on the RPi
i found the solution.
The mining pool changed the protocol from "http / getwork" to "stratum" and that
made the difference. The little correction for your guide is that you need a proxy
on your RPi which converts the getwork protocol to the stratum. Infos on this site:

--> few additional steps to your guide:
1. go to this site and download the proxy software: https://github.com/slush0/stratum-mining-proxy/
2. follow the installation there (for linux)
3. you may need to install python (how to is described in readme-file)
4. change in the file "mining_proxy.py" the default server in line 27 to default='stratum.btcguild.com'
5. start the proxy software (here the file config-live2.tcl)
6. change the server in your mining software (config-live2.tcl) to "http://localhost:3333/"
7. run your mining software on RPi
8. wait til the first hash accepted ;-)

Now it works for me finally - was a good fun to make it run...
Thx again, Andrew.

November 7, 2013 19:43

OK, so "startum.btcguild.com" definitely looks like an incorrect URL (typo!) Try changing this to "stratum.btcguild.com". I haven't had my setup running for quite a while now (DE0-Nano being used for other things), so my memory is a bit hazy, but I seem to recall trying a few different hosts before I got it to work (the software uses a deprecated pooling protocol, so this meant that not as many servers support it). If you're using BTC Guild, I'd also suggest trying the connection details I used, as can be seen in the screenshot (host: btcguild.com, port: 8332).

Hope that helps.

November 7, 2013 11:14

@Andrew
I checked what you mentioned, but without success. The RPi is set up like provided instructions on github. I tried an uart communication with another tool (e.g. file transmission via minicom) and could see the activity on oscilloscope. But there is no activity on Tx line while running miner-software (whithout FPGA). The internet connection is present (verified with ping to stratum.btcguild.com). I compiled the software (run make) like you described - additionally make send_json... I cannot look behind the running software and dont understand the code completely. My console output looks like that (numbers here random):
...
URL = startum.btcguild.com 3333 /

November 6, 2013 11:57

@aquarat, congratulations!

@sparkerdesign, the linked projects provide wiring details, and if I remember correctly you need to disable the login process from attaching to the serial port (otherwise the miner won't be able to communicate). If you've successfully disable the serial port console login, I'd try swapping the transmit and receive connections. Other than this, and assuming your DE0-Nano is programmed as it should be, I'm not sure what to suggest.

November 5, 2013 19:48

Hi,
thx for your guide. I followed the description, but
unfortunately i cannot establich any connection between
de0 nano and RPi. After start it repeats the line "getwork tmpfile..."
with different numbers at the end. sometimes it reports "BAD HASH" or
something like that.
What im doing wrong with it? Any ideas?

Thx

October 24, 2013 20:15

Great post Andrew. I ran through your guide and got my DE0-Nano/Raspberry Pi to start hashing :) .

Thanks

July 29, 2013 16:57

@sasori

I'd seen ASICs but not that particular one — wow, impressive stuff!

Cheers,

Andrew

July 19, 2013 15:28

hi, are you see this chip?

https://products.butterflylabs.com/home ... -chip.html

is very powerfull for mining bitcoins