Menu Search
Ask a Question

Download the DesignSpark Mechanical v4.0 BETA

We are pleased to announce that we have been busy upgrading our 3D Mechanical CAD software and you have the chance to be one of the first to download it and test it out.

Follow the instructions below to get testing:

• Download DS Mechanical v4.0 Beta using the below link:

DOWNLOAD DESIGNSPARK MECHANICAL v4.0 BETA

DesignSpark is an engineer and maker community from RS Components, we provide free CAD software, online resources and design support. Our flagship CAD software includes DesignSpark PCB, DesignSpark Mechanical and DesignSpark Electrical. Join our community at www.designspark.com/register

16 Oct 2018, 13:10

Comments

January 2, 2019 08:35

Hi There,

I have been using DSM 2.0 for a while and have the add-ons. I upgraded to DSM 4.0 today and neither 2.0 or 4.0 will start without me inputting a licence key which I cannot seem to find anywhere.

November 1, 2018 09:07

Downloaded and installed 4.0 beta. Everything "seems" ok
BUT;
Drawing a circle the diameter is shown but the circle is not displayed at all. Rectangles, lines and polygons seem ok .

Acer aspire 5, i5, 4GBram and Intel HD graphics

Verion 2.1 works well.

November 5, 2018 08:06

@Phillipv Try going into File-> DesignSpark options -> Popular and set the rendering quality to 7, then click OK to close the dialog. The circle should display now.

November 1, 2018 09:09

I have buy the Exchange Module and now using the Beta Version V4.0 of Design Spark Mechanical. Could it be possible to use the Exchange Module with this Beta Version?

November 2, 2018 09:31

@supcases yes, you can use the add-on with v4.0 beta.

November 1, 2018 09:10

My DS 4.0 stop starting, show no internet connection now, try DS 2.0 but cant save file there all freze, any one had issue like this??

October 26, 2018 15:00

1. Compared with V2, some of the icons (Edit menu) seem to be a bit sluggish in changing.
2. Apart from the addition of the Blend tool, what else has changed in V4Beta? A list of these changes would be good in order to Beta test them.

November 1, 2018 09:07

@miopicman The full list of changes is here: https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009485314 The performance may appear a bit slow initially after start. Try closing any other memory intensive programs that may be running in the background.

October 26, 2018 15:02

So far I quite like it I have not had any time to really explore the Script tools, I am excited to learn. I would like to see the hole create tool to be included with the software .

October 26, 2018 14:38

The scroll bars in the main design windows have gone so cannot pan across the model any more - is this a bug?

November 5, 2018 08:06

@keithjacobs Go into File -> DesignSpark options -> Popular and then the 'Interface options' & tick the 'Show scroll bars'. Have you also tried using the shift + drag with middle mouse button to pan?

October 18, 2018 09:04

I have a few questions that I hope you can answer before downloading
Can I continue using the addons already purchased to DSM2 with the new DSM4 beta?
And, after the installation of DSM4, what happens to the installation of DSM2 (e.g. DSM4 is an update to DSM2 or they are different installations so I can work with both)?

October 19, 2018 08:02

@DYSE Yes, you can continue to use the add-ons with later releases since DSM 2.0. This was also answered here: https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212000205 Please note that only 64-bit computers are supported from DSM 4.0 onwards. 32-bit Windows users will need to stay on DSM 2.0 or 2.1 to keep using the add-ons. During internal testing, there were no problems reported when version 2.0 and 4.0 were installed on the same PC or Windows user account. However, we recommend users uninstall any older versions should there be any file name association or resource conflicts. Also, the new version only makes improvements while keeping the same recognizable UI so you're not losing out on anything from 2.0.

October 19, 2018 08:01

@DesignSpark Thank you for your answer

October 18, 2018 09:05

I get an error trying to save an STL print file.

October 19, 2018 08:01

@hbert1 Please make sure to run the installer in the 'Translators' folder as well. The setup instructions are supplied with the download in a 'README.TXT' file and also on our DS software help centre. See here (step 5 in particular, which you may have missed): designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010645273

October 17, 2018 13:50

Downloaded and installed - now cannot see anything from my modells, only zigags...seems there is a bug here :)

October 19, 2018 08:01

@trainmodeller Here is the reply from the developer: In most cases, this can be resolved by updating your graphics drivers directly from the manufacturer website. You might also want to clear your user settings from File > DesignSpark Options > Advanced > Reset All User Settings. Make sure your computer is using the main graphics card for DesignSpark Mechanical. You can press F9 within DesignSpark Mechanical to check what graphics card is being used. Sometimes, especially with laptops, Windows might assign a low performance graphics setting to DesignSpark Mechanical. This problem can be corrected from the graphics card "control panel" (right click on your main desktop background), or by installing drivers to make the PC recognize your graphics hardware. Also, check the Rendering quality setting in File > DesignSpark Options > Popular. I have mine set at 5 with anti-aliasing Off. If you still face the same issue, log a DesignSpark support ticket here with a copy of this message (for context): https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

October 17, 2018 13:51

I need to be able to save files in the older rsdoc format in order to use them on my new 2 in 1 tablet, that I bought a few weeks ago just so I could run DesignSpark when away from home, which comes with the 32 bit version of Windows 10. I seems to run slower but it's hard to tell since everything has been running slower since the latest Windows 10 update.

October 19, 2018 08:01

@RonaldVanDyke You can still save in RSDOCs with version 4.0 but we are now offering it only for 64-bit computers, which offer the benefit of running more parallel computations in threads that speed up your design iterations. As we push in new features/enhancements into a CAD tool like DSM, it starts to ask more of the CPU & GPU while designing. Hence, you may have noticed a slight slow down on your machine. You could try going into File->DesignSpark options and lower the rendering quality to '2'.