Ask the Expert - Silicon Carbide Industrial Applications with ST Microelectronics.Follow article
In this Ask the Expert we talk with ST Microelectronics to discuss the benefits that Silicon Carbide power devices offer to industrial applications.
SiC is the wonder material that will push the adoption of EV's and EV charging, but there is much more to discover in terms of the application and potential for SiC in the industrial world.
Sven Reinhardt answers the key questions and gives us a real insight into both the technology and ST's perspective and investment in Silicon Carbide power devices.
Sven is the Director of Technical Marketing EMEA Region.
Located in Munich for 26 years with ST, Sven has a strong focus and knowledge in power semiconductors and industrial applications like energy, motor control and automation. Sven leads a team of European technical engineers with the vision to make the world a bit more efficient and greener.
Quick question guide
1) ST is known as a leading supplier in Power Semiconductors for Industrial applications, could you describe what are the targeted Industrial application segments and the major products that ST offers? Answer
2) What is it that SiC offers power electronics that other materials don’t? In that sense what is the current offer in SiC devices from ST and how do you differentiate from your competitors? Answer
3) The market for SiC is still limited in capacity and the growing demand in automotive but also in industrial applications will require additional efforts and investments to support the growth. SiC is considered one of the major drivers for EV industry and it’s mentioned that EV industry will constitute about 35% of the overall use of SiC. How is ST addressing the growing market demand within automotive and industrial applications? Answer
4) What is the motivation why we encounter more and more Wide Band Gap materials in Industrial applications, would normal silicon devices not suffice? Answer
5) The EV market growth has recently been re-calibrated, initially, it was on a slower path but now this is expected to surpass the figure of 41 million vehicles by 2026 and continue to grow at 35% CAGR. This forecast will require huge efforts in terms of infrastructure like fast DC chargers. Do you see SiC becoming the de facto Semi-conductor technology for the EV Charging industry? Answer
6) How is SiC in comparison to GaN, is it a better solution for the power levels used in Industrial high power applications like DC-Chargers, where do you see the potential for GaN based solutions? Answer
7) Are there any design characteristics that need to be taken into consideration if considering SiC? For example, high frequencies, is it unsuitable for use in lower power conversation systems, such as consumer and household goods etc…, what about the driving, do you have any recommendations for SiC Mosfets, it looks like there are differences on the market from different suppliers? Do you offer specific drivers for SiC Mosfets as well? Answer
8) In bridge topologies is it sufficient and robust enough to use the internal body diode or do you recommend an external antiparallel diode? Answer
9) We spoke a lot about SiC in high power, I mean multiple kW applications, how as ST do you address this market in terms of package? Are there development kits and boards available for prototyping and R&D? Answer
Learn more on ST's approach to SiC right here.
Discover the properties of Silicon Carbide here.