5 Low-Cost SBCs That Support 4K Video
Redstone
Mark completed his Electronic Engineering degree in 1991 and went on to work in real-time digital signal processing applications engineering, later moving into technical marketing.

Comments

June 1, 2020 14:47

The ODROID-C2 has been my staple since it was announced in March 2016 and is still going strong, I have 2 live.
Other higher performance SBC's I have - Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB, with a Pi 4B 8GB due, ONDOID-N2, NanoPi-M4v2, Jetson Nano SDK and the now unavailable Atomic Pi which is a x86_64 SBC. All them are used with small 7 inch touch LCD's except the NanoPi-M4v2 which uses a 10.1 inch touch LCD.
As a Radio Ham one of the ODROID-C2 is part of a standalone HiQSDR transceiver with a 7 inch touch LCD.
Other SBC targets are intended for standalone ODYSSEY-2, Hermes-Lite2 SDR transceivers.

June 3, 2020 09:31

@siddly Thanks for your comment. Your use cases sound pretty interesting - have you thought about putting an article up here about how you set up your C2 (and other boards) for your SDR purposes? I would like to hear about it and I'm sure others here would too.

April 28, 2018 15:10

very informative. I have been planning to build "proper but simple and cheap" laptop for my toddler to fiddle on (and possibly learn some basic programing). I have innitially set my mind on a raspberry pi zero but soon realized I might have issues playing some HD video due to their hardware and software limitations. plus they cost 300% of their original price here in the PHilippines. Now I have other options to look at. Id probably look at each of their prices and how much they'd cost to procure from where Im located (probably cheaper if I can get them from CHina). I'd really like the raspi zero though as they have an established community but it's probably worth it to check out the others.

January 19, 2018 08:56

Great article @redstone I have to admit that I’ve never heard of these brands of SBC so this was really informative and you clearly know your stuff with these devices

January 20, 2018 20:56

@davecole Thanks for the positive feedback: it's nice to know that an article has been useful to DS readers.

January 17, 2018 09:03

The Asus TinkerBoard link is dead. There have been support issues, it has been withdrawn from shops, and availability (in The Netherlands) is poor. It does not appear on the UK or NL Asus website...
And, on Le Potato, I honestly do not understand that. Have been looking at it on Kickstarter, it's a Libre Computer project, as was the Rock64 by Pine (which I own), but that board is cheaper, and has better options (1Gbps RJ45, 4GB memory, HDMI2.0a).
It also features a USB 3 bus, nice for hooking up an SSD (or notebook HDD) and you will have a small, energy-efficient, silent, stand-alone mediacenter.
Also own a nanopi, and it's a nice little board. No comments on media center capabilities - never intended to use it for that purpose.

January 17, 2018 10:44

@frankieHollywood Thanks for letting me know about the Tinkerboard link. It does seem to have disappeared from the UK site, so I have linked to the main site information. I think the main reason to buy a Le Potato is the video decoding hardware in the Amlogic S905X SoC. As I mentioned, it directly supports hardware decoding of VP9 and 10-bit HDR video. This would allow you to build a media centre that takes full advantage of the features of latest 4K OLED screens. Of course, if 4K video isn't your thing, then this is pretty superfluous and you may prefer to get a board with Gbit Ethernet. ;)