The gateway to online resources and design support for engineers, powered by RS ComponentsAllied

+Post a new topic

inserting LOGO

How to import a logo in the pcb? and past it on different layers?
    e.g. CE, company name / logo etc. or any other fancy design for that matter.
    I have seen this in the sample design of DS.
    Thanks

Replies

Posted by Boss at

This post has some good details on one method
      http://www.designspark.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7816

Another post suggested this solution

I had the idea from Photoshop brushes - DesignSpark allows you to import custom fonts like most Windows programs. I just designed my own font which was the symbol I wished to use.
      Add it in and edit it etc as text.

If you have success with either of these or come up with a better process, let us all know!

Posted by coolbaba at

Thanks Boss I will try this.
      However in the ChipkitMax32 board there are some logos and I am curious as to how they were created/ inserted.
      E.g. Text :DIGILENT, BEYOND THEORY, Max32
      Eg. Logo: the do not recycle logo.
      Anyone from DS team??
      Thanks

Posted by passpics at

Convert your logo to DXF, and use File | Import when editing the PCB... Many vector programs can export as DXF, and you can also find PDF to DXF converters. But you must have a vector graphics version of your logo.

Cheers,
      Martin

Posted by coolbaba at

Martin
      if I have my logo in corel how would I go about it?
      I tried exporting logo file (which was saved as curves) as dxf and importing it in pcb but i get the following error in a windows message box in DS.
      "No data has been found to import"
      Thanks

Posted by passpics at

Sorry, no idea about Corel Draw. I did read it's not so good at DXF export (there's a plug-in to fix this). I usually export DXF from AutoCAD, and haven't had a problem. Maybe you can try some other software? Progecad Smart is free for non-commercial use: http://www.progesoft.com/en/products/progecad-smart/

Cheers,
      Martin

Posted by Boss at

I did a quick test logo, but it needs the 'artistic' step!

I created a pcb symbol which had only the silkscreen layer, produced the text and graphics (with most taken from another symbol) and prodced a component (logo) which can be placed on your pcb silkscreen.

See sample attached.

Look forward to hearing your successful steps.....

Logo.zip
      (3.7 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Posted by passpics at

Sorry CoodBaba, I tried replying a few days ago, but my post seems to have gone AWOL. I've not used CoralDraw, so can't comment on its DXF output, but read it's not so good. I've output several graphics from AutoCAD 2013 into DSPCB with no problems.

You could also try ProgeCad Smart 2009 - this is freeware for non-commercial use, and seems to output good DXF. It's an excellent (legal) AutoCAD clone. Google for it.

Cheers,
      Martin

Posted by coolbaba at

All,
      The font soluton suggested seemed too cumbersome.
      The dxf export from corel was a failure.(as earlier stated)
      will try auto cad solution.
      However my company logo has been designed in corel hence tying to use it as all aspects of design are locked. aspect ratio etc.
      also nobody seems to know/answer my question regarding the fancy symbols and text in the DS sample design.
      ??
      Anybody from DS design team??
      Thanks All you guys trying to help.

Posted by Boss at

Did you see my post above on the 25th?

It is a schematic only component as per the example I uploaded.
      You can click on the DS example logo and save as a component in your library (as you can do with any components)

I think it was created (carefully) just using the drawing features provided.

I also note elsewhere a comment that Corel DXF is far from ideal.

Post a reply